The preferred way to find more affordable car insurance rates is to make a habit of regularly comparing prices from insurance carriers who provide auto insurance in Virginia Beach. Price quotes can be compared by completing these steps.
- Read and learn about individual coverages and the things you can control to drop your rates. Many things that result in higher rates like inattentive driving and a less-than-favorable credit score can be amended by making lifestyle changes or driving safer.
- Compare prices from exclusive agents, independent agents, and direct providers. Exclusive and direct companies can only give prices from one company like GEICO or State Farm, while independent agents can provide rate quotes for a wide range of insurance providers.
- Compare the quotes to your current policy premium to see if switching to a new carrier will save money. If you find a lower rate and buy the policy, ensure there is no coverage lapse between policies.
One tip to remember is that you’ll want to compare identical coverage information on every quote request and and to get rates from every company you can. Doing this enables a fair rate comparison and a thorough selection of prices.
We don’t have to point out that fact that auto insurance companies don’t want you comparing rates. Insureds who perform rate comparisons will most likely switch companies because they have a good chance of finding a policy with more affordable rates. Remarkably, a study showed that consumers who shopped around annually saved $860 a year as compared to drivers who don’t make a habit of comparing rates.
If finding the cheapest price for Chevy HHR insurance in Virginia Beach is your objective, then having a good understanding how to get price quotes and compare coverages can help you succeed in saving money.
Choosing the most cost-effective auto insurance policy in Virginia Beach can be made easier if you know where to look. Practically each driver who needs more affordable auto insurance most likely will get a lower-priced policy. Although Virginia drivers need to learn how the larger insurance companies price insurance differently and use it to find better rates.
The cheapest Virginia Beach Chevy HHR insurance quotes
When shopping for Chevy HHR insurance in Virginia Beach there are multiple ways of comparing rate quotes from different companies. The simplest method to compare Chevy HHR insurance prices consists of obtaining rate quotes online.
Comparing free price quotes online is easy and it, makes it obsolete to drive to different Virginia Beach agent offices. The ability to get quotes online eliminates the need for an insurance agent unless you have a complicated situation and need the guidance of a local agency. It is possible with some companies compare the best prices online but have your policy serviced through an agent. It’s important to know that comparing more rates from different companies increases your odds of finding better pricing. Some companies don’t provide Virginia Beach HHR insurance quotes over the internet, so it’s recommended that you also compare quotes from the smaller companies as well.
The companies in the list below offer comparison quotes in Virginia. In order to find the cheapest auto insurance in Virginia, we recommend you get prices from several of them in order to find the most competitive rates.
Statistics and details
The table displayed below highlights estimates of prices for Chevy HHR models. Learning how rates are formulated can benefit drivers when making decisions when shopping your coverage around.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Data variables include single female driver age 30, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $100 deductibles, and Virginia minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include homeowner, safe-driver, claim-free, multi-policy, and multi-vehicle. Premium amounts do not factor in vehicle garaging location which can revise prices greatly.
Three main reasons to buy auto insurance
Despite the high cost, auto insurance is required in Virginia but also provides important benefits.
- The majority of states have minimum mandated liability insurance limits which means you are required to buy specific limits of liability insurance in order to license the vehicle. In Virginia these limits are 25/50/20 which means you must have $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $20,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you have a lien on your Chevy, it’s guaranteed your bank will require you to have insurance to guarantee loan repayment. If you do not keep the policy in force, the bank or lender will purchase a policy for your Chevy at a significantly higher premium and make you pay a much higher amount than you were paying before.
- Auto insurance protects your Chevy and your assets. Insurance will pay for medical expenses for you, any passengers, and anyone injured in an accident. Liability insurance, one of your policy coverages, also pays for attorney fees and expenses in the event you are sued. If you have damage to your Chevy as the result of the weather or an accident, your policy will pay to repair the damage.
The benefits of carrying enough insurance more than offset the price you pay, especially if you ever need it. But the average American driver is overpaying over $869 every year so it’s very important to do a rate comparison each time the policy renews to be sure current rates are still competitive.
Seven Things That Affect Your Insurance Costs
Many factors are part of the equation when you get a price on insurance. Some are obvious such as traffic violations, but some are more transparent like where you live or your vehicle rating. One of the most helpful ways to save on insurance is to to have a grasp of the different types of things that go into determining the level of your policy premiums. If you know what positively or negatively impacts your premiums, this empowers consumers to make smart changes that could result in lower insurance prices.
The factors shown below are a few of the things used by companies to determine your premiums.
Don’t cancel your policy without a new one in place – Going without insurance will be a guaranteed way to trigger a rate increase. In addition to paying higher premiums, getting caught without coverage could result in a fine, jail time, or a revoked license. You may have to prove you have insurance by filing a SR-22 with the Virginia DMV.
Guys pay more for insurance coverage – The statistics show that females take fewer risks when driving. The data does not necessarily mean that women are better drivers. Males and females are responsible for accidents at about the same rate, but guys tend to have more serious accidents. In addition to higher claims, males also get higher numbers of serious violations like DUI and reckless driving.
The information below illustrates the difference between Chevy HHR insurance prices for male and female drivers. The premiums are based on no accidents or driving violations, comprehensive and collision coverage, $100 deductibles, drivers are single, and no other discounts are factored in.
Multiple policies with one company – Most larger insurance companies afford better rates to clients who buy several policies from them, otherwise known as a multi-policy discount. Discounts can add up to as much as ten percent or more Even if you qualify for this discount already, it’s still a good idea to get quotes from other companies to make sure you are getting the best deal.
You might pay higher costs if you are single – Walking down the aisle may save some money on your insurance policy. Having a spouse is viewed as being more mature and insurance companies reward insureds because married couples file fewer claims.
Avoid traffic tickets – Your driving record impacts premiums far more than you think. Drivers who don’t get tickets tend to pay less for car insurance compared to bad drivers. Only having one citation could increase your next policy renewal by as much as twenty percent. Drivers who have received severe violations like reckless driving or DUI are required to complete a SR-22 with their state in order to legally drive.
The chart below illustrates how speeding tickets and at-fault claims can raise Chevy HHR car insurance costs for different ages of insureds. The premium estimates are based on a married female driver, full physical damage coverage, $250 deductibles, and no other discounts are factored in.
If you don’t need it don’t buy it – There are a lot of extra coverages you can purchase when buying insurance. Add-on coverages like vanishing deductibles, death and dismemberment, and additional equipment coverage are probably not needed. These coverages may sound good initially, but your needs may have changed so eliminate them to save money.
Credit history impact insurance prices – Having a good credit score will be a significant factor in your rate calculation. People that have high credit ratings tend to file fewer claims and have better driving records than drivers who have lower ratings. So if your credit could use some work, you may save money insuring your Chevrolet HHR by improving your credit score.
Cheaper Virginia Beach auto insurance rates with discounts
Auto insurance is easily one of your largest bills, but there could be significant discounts that many people don’t even know exist. Certain discounts will be applied when you quote, but some need to be requested specifically prior to receiving the credit.
- Save with More Vehicles Insured – Buying a policy with multiple cars with one company can get a discount on all vehicles.
- Good Student – This discount may save as much as 25% on a Virginia Beach auto insurance quote. Earning this discount can benefit you up until you turn 25.
- Military Rewards – Being deployed with a military unit may lower your prices slightly.
- College Student – Kids who live away from home at college and do not take a car to college can be insured at a reduced rate.
- Discounts for Government Workers – Employees or retirees of the government can earn a discount up to 10% with select insurance companies.
- First Accident Forgiveness – Not really a discount, but companies like Allstate and State Farm will forgive one accident without getting socked with a rate hike so long as you are claim-free for a certain period of time.
Consumers should know that most discounts do not apply to the entire policy premium. Most only apply to the cost of specific coverages such as liability, collision or medical payments. Even though it may seem like you would end up receiving a 100% discount, it just doesn’t work that way. But any discount will definitely reduce the premium cost.
The chart below illustrates the difference between Chevy HHR insurance prices with and without discounts applied. The information is based on a male driver, no claims or driving violations, Virginia state minimum liability limits, comprehensive and collision coverage, and $1,000 deductibles. The first bar for each age group shows premium with no discounts. The second shows the rates with marriage, multi-car, homeowner, safe-driver, multi-policy, and claim-free discounts applied.
Companies and a selection of discounts include:
- Farmers Insurance policyholders can earn discounts including teen driver, distant student, mature driver, bundle discounts, and early shopping.
- Esurance may have discounts that include multi-policy, DriveSense, renters, good driver, and online quote.
- State Farm may offer discounts for defensive driving training, Drive Safe & Save, driver’s education, accident-free, anti-theft, and multiple autos.
- GEICO has savings for good student, multi-vehicle, defensive driver, anti-theft, anti-lock brakes, and emergency military deployment.
- Allstate may include discounts for premier plus, teenSMART discount, anti-lock brakes, safe driver, defensive driver, and utility vehicle.
If you want inexpensive Virginia Beach auto insurance quotes, ask each insurance company which discounts you qualify for. Some of the earlier mentioned discounts may not apply to policies everywhere. If you would like to choose from a list of providers that offer discounts in Virginia Beach, click here.
How to know if you need help
When buying the best car insurance coverage for your personal vehicles, there really is no best way to insure your cars. Coverage needs to be tailored to your specific needs and your car insurance should be unique as well.
For instance, these questions may help you determine if you could use an agent’s help.
- When would I need rental car insurance?
- Does rental coverage apply when I am renting a car?
- Will my insurance pay for OEM parts?
- Should I have a commercial auto policy?
- Who sells insurance for high-risk drivers?
- Can I still get insurance after a DUI?
If you’re not sure about those questions, then you may want to think about talking to a licensed insurance agent. If you don’t have a local agent, fill out this quick form or you can go here for a list of companies in your area.
Do I need a local insurance agent?
Many drivers just prefer to sit down with an agent and that is recommended in a lot of cases The best thing about comparing rate quotes online is that drivers can save money and get cheap rate quotes and also buy local.
To help locate an agent, after submitting this form (opens in new window), the coverage information is submitted to agents in your area that can provide free Virginia Beach auto insurance quotes for your coverage. You never need to search for an agent since rate quotes are delivered instantly to you. Get lower rates without the usual hassles of price shopping. If for some reason you want to get a comparison quote from a particular provider, you can always jump over to their website and fill out the quote form the provide.
Finding the right insurer should depend on more than just the price. Below are some questions you should ask.
- Which companies do they recommend if they are an independent agency?
- Will you get a loaner vehicle if you car is being repaired?
- Do they have a Better Business Bureau rating in Virginia Beach?
- Is vehicle damage repaired with OEM or aftermarket parts?
- What is the financial rating for the quoted company?
- Is the quote a firm price?
- Can glass repairs be made at your home?
- Do they have cheaper tiers of coverage?
Choose the right car insurance agent
When searching for a local insurance agency, you must know there are a couple types of agencies and how they differ in how they can insure your vehicles. Virginia Beach agents are either exclusive or independent (non-exclusive).
Exclusive Insurance Agents
Exclusive agencies can only quote rates from one company and examples are State Farm, Allstate, and Farm Bureau. Exclusive agents are unable to provide prices from multiple companies so you need to shop around if the rates are high. Exclusive agencies are usually well trained on their company’s products and that allows them to sell at a higher price point.
Listed below is a list of exclusive agents in Virginia Beach that can give you price quote information.
Independent Agents (or Brokers)
Agents in the independent channel often have affiliation with several companies so they can quote policies with an assortment of companies and find you the best rates. If you are not satisfied with one company, they simply switch companies in-house and you can keep the same agent. If you are comparing rate quotes, you need to include multiple independent agents for the best price selection.
Below is a list of independent agents in Virginia Beach willing to provide price quote information.
Which car insurance company is best in Virginia Beach?
Selecting the top auto insurance provider can be a challenge considering how many companies are available to choose from in Virginia. The company information in the lists below may help you select which insurers to look at comparing rates with.
Top 10 Virginia Beach Car Insurance Companies by A.M. Best Rank
- Travelers – A++
- USAA – A++
- GEICO – A++
- State Farm – A++
- Erie Insurance – A+
- Titan Insurance – A+
- Esurance – A+
- Progressive – A+
- Nationwide – A+
- The Hartford – A+
Top 10 Virginia Beach Car Insurance Companies Overall
- Mercury Insurance
- AAA Insurance
- State Farm
- The Hartford
- Safeco Insurance
Quote often and quote early
When shopping online for insurance, never skimp on coverage in order to save money. In too many instances, consumers will sacrifice physical damage coverage and found out when filing a claim that the few dollars in savings costed them thousands. Your aim should be to find the BEST coverage at an affordable rate while not skimping on critical coverages.
Throughout this article, we presented quite a bit of information on how to compare Chevy HHR insurance car insurance rates in Virginia Beach. The key thing to remember is the more companies you get premium rates for, the more likely it is that you will get a better rate. Drivers may even discover the lowest priced insurance comes from an unexpected company. They can often provide lower premium rates in certain areas compared to the large companies like Allstate, GEICO and Progressive.
- Speed and Speed Limit FAQ (iihs.org)
- How Much is Virginia Beach Auto Insurance for a Honda Civic? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance for 19 Year Olds in Virginia Beach? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Virginia Beach Auto Insurance Rates for Lyft Drivers? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Virginia Beach Auto Insurance for Drivers Over Age 50? (FAQ)
- Auto Theft Statistics (Insurance Information Institute)
- How to Avoid Common Accidents (State Farm)
- Get the Right Protection (InsureUonline.org)