To save the most money, the best way to get the cheapest car insurance rates is to do an annual price comparison from insurers who can sell car insurance in Virginia Beach. Rate comparisons can be done by following these guidelines.
- First, read about auto insurance and the factors you can control to drop your rates. Many rating factors that cause high rates like inattentive driving and a bad credit rating can be remedied by improving your driving habits or financial responsibility. Keep reading for instructions to get lower rates and find additional discounts.
- Second, request price quotes from independent agents, exclusive agents, and direct companies. Exclusive and direct companies can only provide price estimates from a single company like Progressive and State Farm, while independent agents can provide price quotes for a wide range of insurance providers.
- Third, compare the new quotes to your current policy premium to determine if you can save on Fit insurance. If you find a better price, make sure the effective date of the new policy is the same as the expiration date of the old one.
- Fourth, provide notification to your current company of your decision to cancel the current policy and submit payment along with a signed and completed policy application to your new company or agent. Once received, keep the new certificate of insurance along with your vehicle registration.
A tip to remember is to use the same physical damage deductibles and liability limits on each quote request and to quote with all possible companies. This helps ensure the most accurate price comparison and many rates to choose from.
Statistics show that the vast majority of auto insurance customers have purchased from the same company for at least four years, and 38% of drivers have never compared rate quotes at all. With the average auto insurance premium being $1,240, Virginia Beach drivers could save themselves 45% a year by just shopping around, but they don’t want to take the time to compare rates and save money.
If you have coverage now or want to find a cheaper company, use these cost-cutting techniques to reduce the price you pay while maximizing coverage. Finding affordable auto insurance coverage in Virginia Beach is not that difficult as long as you know where to start. Shoppers only have to learn the fastest way to compare different rates using one simple form.
These discounts can lower your insurance quotes
Insurance is not an enjoyable expense, but you might find some hidden discounts that you may not know about. Certain discounts will be applied when you complete an application, but some may not be applied and must be specially asked for prior to receiving the credit.
- Early Switch Discount – A few larger companies allow discounts for renewing your policy early. This can save 10% or more.
- Buy New and Save – Adding a new car to your policy can save you some money since newer models have better safety ratings.
- Theft Deterrent System – Anti-theft and alarm system equipped vehicles are less likely to be stolen so companies will give you a small discount.
- Seat Belt Discounts – Drivers who require all vehicle occupants to use a seat belt could cut 10% or more on the premium charged for medical payments and/or PIP.
- Student Discount for Driver Training – Teen drivers should successfully take a driver’s education course if offered at their school.
- Senior Citizens – Drivers that qualify as senior citizens may be able to get reduced rates.
- One Accident Forgiven – Not really a discount, but companies like Allstate and State Farm allow you one accident without the usual rate increase so long as you are claim-free for a set time period.
- Discount for Good Grades – This discount can be rewarded with saving of up to 25%. Most companies allow this discount until age 25.
A little disclaimer on discounts, most of the big mark downs will not be given to your bottom line cost. Most cut the price of certain insurance coverages like physical damage coverage or medical payments. Despite the appearance that you could get a free insurance policy, companies don’t profit that way.
The chart below compares Honda Fit yearly insurance costs with and without discounts being applied to the rates. Data assumes a male driver, no violations or claims, Virginia state minimum liability limits, comp and collision included, and $500 deductibles. The first bar for each age group shows premium with no discounts. The second shows the rates with multi-car, marriage, multi-policy, homeowner, claim-free, and safe-driver discounts applied.
A list of insurance companies and their possible discounts can be found below.
- State Farm offers discounts for Drive Safe & Save, driver’s education, student away at school, good driver, multiple autos, defensive driving training, and multiple policy.
- American Family policyholders can earn discounts including early bird, accident-free, air bags, mySafetyValet, bundled insurance, and good driver.
- AAA may include discounts for good driver, good student, multi-car, AAA membership discount, multi-policy, and anti-theft.
- GEICO may offer discounts for five-year accident-free, anti-lock brakes, driver training, air bags, and membership and employees.
- Mercury Insurance offers discounts including multi-car, anti-theft, multi-policy, professional/association, location of vehicle, accident-free, and annual mileage.
- Farmers Insurance has discounts for good student, business and professional, mature driver, distant student, bundle discounts, homeowner, and early shopping.
- Progressive offers premium reductions for good student, multi-policy, online quote discount, online signing, multi-vehicle, homeowner, and continuous coverage.
If you need affordable Honda Fit insurance quotes, ask every insurance company to apply every possible discount. Some discounts may not apply to policies in your area. To locate providers who offer free Honda Fit insurance quotes in Virginia Beach, follow this link.
First Step: Get free Honda Fit insurance quotes
The companies in the list below provide free quotes in Virginia Beach, VA. If you wish to find the cheapest car insurance in VA, it’s highly recommended you visit several of them to find the cheapest auto insurance rates.
Data for Honda Fit insurance
The rate table below outlines detailed analysis of coverage costs for Honda Fit models. Being more informed about how policy premiums are calculated helps drivers make informed decisions when shopping around for a new policy.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Fit Sport VSA||$140||$312||$178||$10||$54||$694||$58|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Data based on married female driver age 40, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $500 deductibles, and Virginia minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include safe-driver, multi-vehicle, claim-free, homeowner, and multi-policy. Rate quotes do not factor in vehicle location which can decrease or increase coverage rates considerably.
Driving violations and accidents
The diagram below demonstrates how traffic citations and accident claims impact Honda Fit insurance premiums for different age categories. The premiums are based on a single male driver, full coverage, $1,000 deductibles, and no discounts are factored in.
Honda Fit liability rates compared to full coverage
The illustration below illustrates the difference between Honda Fit annual premium costs with full coverage compared to only the Virginia minimum liability coverage. The premiums assume no claims, a clean driving record, $100 deductibles, single marital status, and no other discounts are factored in.
Guidelines for dropping full coverage
There is no set rule that works best for making the decision to drop comprehensive and collision coverage on your policy, but there is a general guideline. If the yearly cost of full coverage is more than about 10% of the replacement cost minus the deductible, then it might be time to buy liability only.
For example, let’s say your Honda Fit book value is $9,000 and you have $1,000 physical damage deductibles. If your vehicle is destroyed, the most you would get paid by your company is $8,000 after paying the physical damage deductible. If you are paying over $800 a year for comprehensive and collision coverage, then you might want to think about dropping full coverage.
There are some scenarios where eliminating full coverage is not financially feasible. If you have an outstanding loan on your vehicle, you have to maintain full coverage in order to prevent the bank from purchasing higher-priced coverage. Also, if you don’t have enough money to buy a different vehicle in case of an accident, you should maintain full coverage.
Car insurance agents can help
Many people still prefer to get advice from a local agent and we recommend doing that Professional agents can answer important questions and help you file claims. One of the benefits of comparing rate quotes online is you may find the best rates but still work with a licensed agent. Supporting local agencies is especially important in Virginia Beach.
By using this form (opens in new window), the coverage information is instantly submitted to participating agents in Virginia Beach that can provide free Virginia Beach car insurance quotes and help you find cheaper coverage. It makes it easy because there is no need to drive around since rate quotes are delivered immediately to your email address. If for some reason you want to get a comparison quote from a specific auto insurance provider, you can always visit that company’s website and fill out the quote form the provide.
Two types of Virginia Beach auto insurance agents
If you would like to find an insurance agent, it’s helpful to know the different types of agencies and how they can write your policy. Auto insurance agencies can be classified as either exclusive or independent. Both types can insure your vehicles properly, but it’s good to learn the difference in the companies they write for since it can impact the selection process.
Independent agencies do not write with just one company so they can quote policies with lots of companies and find you cheaper rates. If your agent finds better pricing, your agent can just switch to a different company and the insured can keep the same agent.
When shopping rates, we recommend you compare quotes from a few independent agents so that you have a good selection of quotes to compare.
Listed below are independent agents in Virginia Beach that may be able to give you comparison quotes.
Nationwide Insurance: Bob McCrearyh CLU Insurance Agency, Inc.
533 Newtown Rd #112 – Virginia Beach, VA 23462 – (757) 497-1899 – View Map
Nationwide Insurance: Chesson Insurance Agency Inc
307 Lynnhaven Pkwy Ste 201 – Virginia Beach, VA 23452 – (757) 464-4443 – View Map
Exclusive agencies can only provide one company’s prices and some examples include State Farm, AAA, and Liberty Mutual. They are unable to provide prices from multiple companies so they have no alternatives for high prices. They are very knowledgeable on what they offer which aids in selling service over price.
Below is a list of exclusive insurance agents in Virginia Beach who can help you get comparison quotes.
Finding the right car insurance agent shouldn’t rely on just the bottom line cost. The questions below may impact your decision as well.
- Are you getting all the discounts the company offers?
- How many companies do they write for?
- Is the quote a firm price?
- Do they review policy coverages at every renewal?
- If you have an accident, are you able to get your vehicle repaired at the shop of your choice?
Quote. Compare. Save.
As you go through the steps to switch your coverage, it’s a bad idea to reduce coverage to reduce premium. In many cases, an insured cut collision coverage only to regret at claim time that their decision to reduce coverage ended up costing them more. The ultimate goal is to purchase a proper amount of coverage at the lowest possible cost and still be able to protect your assets.
Some insurance providers do not provide online price quotes and these regional insurance providers only sell through independent agents. Cost effective Honda Fit insurance can be sourced from both online companies in addition to many Virginia Beach insurance agents, so you should compare both in order to have the best chance of saving money.
More information is available on the following sites:
- What to do at the Scene of an Accident (Insurance Information Institute)
- How Much is Virginia Beach Auto Insurance for a Honda Civic? (FAQ)
- Car Insurance FAQ (Trusted Choice)
- Determining Your Vehicle’s Value and Repair Cost (Insurance Information Institute)