Unbelievable but true, a large majority of drivers in Virginia have been with the same company for a minimum of four years, and 38% of customers have never compared rates from other carriers. Many drivers in the United States could save themselves $850 a year, but most undervalue the actual amount they would save if they switched to a more affordable policy.
If you want to find the absolute lowest rates, then the best way to find discount auto insurance rates in Virginia Beach is to do a yearly price comparison from insurers in Virginia.
First, read about how car insurance works and the factors you can control to prevent expensive coverage. Many rating factors that result in higher prices such as at-fault accidents and poor credit can be rectified by making minor changes in your lifestyle.
Second, request price quotes from direct, independent, and exclusive agents. Exclusive and direct companies can give quotes from one company like GEICO or Farmers Insurance, while agents who are independent can provide prices from many different companies.
Third, compare the new rate quotes to your existing policy and see if you can save money. If you find a lower rate quote and buy the policy, make sure the effective date of the new policy is the same as the expiration date of the old one.
An important part of this process is that you’ll want to make sure you compare identical limits and deductibles on every price quote and and to get prices from as many companies as feasibly possible. This enables an apples-to-apples comparison and the best price selection.
Quoting the best-priced auto insurance in Virginia Beach is easy if you know what you’re doing. If you have a current auto insurance policy or just want cheaper rates, use these money-saving tips to buy cheaper auto insurance while maximizing coverage. Smart shoppers just have to learn the fastest way to shop online from multiple companies.
The car insurance companies shown below have been selected to offer quotes in Virginia. If multiple companies are listed, we recommend you visit as many as you can in order to get a fair rate comparison.
Insurance just makes sense
Despite the potentially high cost of Honda HR-V insurance, buying insurance is mandatory in Virginia but it also protects more than you think.
- The majority of states have compulsory liability insurance requirements which means it is punishable by state law to not carry a specific level of liability coverage in order to license the vehicle. In Virginia these limits are 25/50/20 which means you must have $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $20,000 of property damage coverage.
- If your Honda has a lienholder, most lenders will have a requirement that you have full coverage to ensure they get paid if you total the vehicle. If you do not keep the policy in force, the lender will be forced to insure your Honda for a much higher rate and force you to reimburse them for the expensive policy.
- Insurance preserves not only your vehicle but also your financial assets. It will also reimburse you for medical bills for you, your passengers, and anyone else injured in an accident. One of the most valuable coverages, liability insurance, also pays for attorney fees and expenses in the event you are sued. If your Honda gets damaged, your insurance policy will pay to repair the damage.
The benefits of having insurance definitely exceed the price paid, particularly if you ever have a claim. Unknowingly, the average driver is overpaying more than $855 a year so we recommend shopping around once a year at a minimum to ensure rates are competitive.
Why You Might Pay Higher Rates in Virginia Beach
Part of the auto insurance buying process is learning a few of the rating criteria that are used to determine auto insurance rates. When consumers understand what positively or negatively impacts your premiums, this helps enable you to make changes that may result in much lower annual insurance costs.
Listed below are a partial list of the pieces utilized by car insurance companies to help set premiums.
Prevent theft and save – Owning a car that has a built-in theft deterrent system can help bring down rates. Theft deterrent systems such as OnStar found on GM vehicles, advanced tracking like LoJack, and vehicle immobilization systems can help prevent car theft and help bring rates down.
Bundle and save – Many insurance companies apply lower prices to people who buy several policies from them such as combining an auto and homeowners policy. Even with this discount, you may still want to compare other company rates to help ensure you have the lowest rates. You may still be able to find a better deal by buying from different companies
Low physical damage deductibles cost more – Physical damage insurance, aka comp and collision, helps pay for damage to your vehicle. Examples of covered claims are a broken side mirror, hail damage, and rolling your vehicle. Physical damage deductibles are how much you are required to spend out-of-pocket if the claim is covered. The more of the claim the insured has to pay upfront, the better rate you will receive.
Married drivers pay lower premiums – Having a spouse helps lower the price on your auto insurance policy. Having a significant other demonstrates that you tend to be more mature and responsible and statistics prove married couples file fewer claims.
Traffic violations increase rates – Whether or not you get tickets has a huge affect on how much you pay. Even one speeding ticket or other violation may cause rates to rise twenty percent or more. Drivers with clean records pay less for auto insurance compared to bad drivers. Drivers who have gotten license-revoking violations such as DWI, reckless driving or hit and run convictions may be required to prove financial responsibility with their state in order to legally drive.
Lower-cost Virginia Beach car insurance rates with discounts
Some insurance providers do not advertise the complete list of policy discounts in an easy-to-find place, so the below list has a few of the more well known and the more hidden discounts that you may qualify for. If you do not check that you are getting every discount you deserve, you are just wasting money.
- Discount for Multiple Policies – If you can combine your home and auto policy with one insurance company they may give you a discount of as much as 10 to 15 percent.
- Air Bags and Passive Restraints – Vehicles equipped with air bags and/or automatic seat belt systems could see savings up to 30%.
- Full Payment Discount – By paying your policy upfront rather than paying in monthly installments you may reduce your total bill.
- Discount for Life Insurance – Not every insurance company offers life insurance, but if they do you may earn better car insurance rates if you take out some life insurance too.
- Discount for Low Mileage – Low annual miles could qualify for lower car insurance rates due to less chance of an accident.
- Anti-lock Brakes – Cars that have anti-lock braking systems prevent accidents and therefore earn up to a 10% discount.
- Anti-theft System – Cars optioned with advanced anti-theft systems are stolen with less frequency so companies will give you a small discount.
- Distant College Student Discount – Older children who live away from home to go to college and don’t have a car could get you a discount.
- Accident Forgiveness Coverage – This one isn’t a discount, but certain companies will forgive one accident without raising rates so long as you haven’t had any claims for a set time period.
- Defensive Driver – Taking part in a safe driver course could cut 5% off your bill depending on where you live.
While discounts sound great, it’s important to understand that most credits do not apply to the entire policy premium. Some only apply to the price of certain insurance coverages like comprehensive or collision. Even though it appears you can get free auto insurance, company stockholders wouldn’t be very happy.
A list of car insurance companies and some of the premium reductions they offer include:
- AAA discounts include good driver, AAA membership discount, good student, pay-in-full, education and occupation, and multi-policy.
- Progressive offers discounts including online signing, good student, continuous coverage, multi-policy, homeowner, multi-vehicle, and online quote discount.
- State Farm has savings for Steer Clear safe driver discount, good driver, anti-theft, driver’s education, student away at school, safe vehicle, and passive restraint.
- Esurance may have discounts that include paid-in-full, Switch & Save, claim free, anti-theft, and good student.
- Nationwide may offer discounts for multi-policy, good student, Farm Bureau membership, defensive driving, and accident-free.
If you are trying to find cheaper Virginia Beach auto insurance quotes, ask each company to apply every possible discount. Some discounts might not be available to policyholders in your state. To locate companies that offer discounts in Virginia, follow this link.
How much insurance do I need?
Always keep in mind that when comparing proper insurance coverage for your vehicles, there isn’t really a one size fits all plan. Your situation is unique so your insurance should reflect that
For example, these questions can help discover whether you would benefit from an agent’s advice.
- Am I covered if I crash into my own garage door?
- Do I have any recourse if my insurance company denies a claim?
- Does my insurance cover damage caused when ticketed for reckless driving?
- Is business property covered if stolen from my car?
- Do I need more liability coverage?
- Is my son or daughter covered when driving my car?
- Am I missing any policy discounts?
If it’s difficult to answer those questions but you think they might apply to your situation, you might consider talking to an insurance agent. To find an agent in your area, complete this form or go to this page to view a list of companies. It’s fast, doesn’t cost anything and can provide invaluable advice.
Don’t I need to talk to an insurance agent?
Many drivers prefer to buy from a local agent and often times that is recommended Good agents are highly skilled in risk management and help submit paperwork. One of the great benefits of comparing rate quotes online is you may find the lowest rates and also buy local. Buying from local insurance agents is definitely important in Virginia Beach.
By using this simple form, your insurance data is emailed to local insurance agents in Virginia Beach that can give you free Virginia Beach auto insurance quotes to get your business. You won’t need to visit any agencies due to the fact that quote results will go immediately to your email address. If you have a need to compare rates for a specific company, you would need to search and find their rate quote page and fill out the quote form the provide.
Exclusive or Independent: There is a difference
When looking for local Virginia Beach agents, it’s helpful to know the different types of agencies and how they are distinctly different. Insurance agencies are classified as either independent or exclusive. Both types of agents can insure your vehicles properly, but it is important to understand why they differ since it could factor into the type of agent you choose.
Independent Insurance Agents
Independent agencies do not sell for just one brand so they have the ability to put coverage through lots of different companies and help determine which has the cheapest rates. If you want to switch companies, your policy is moved internally and that require little work on your part.
When comparing rates, you absolutely need to get rate quotes from at a minimum one independent agency to get the best comparison.
The following is a short list of independent agents in Virginia Beach that can possibly get you free price quotes.
Nationwide Insurance: Bob McCrearyh CLU Insurance Agency, Inc.
533 Newtown Rd #112 – Virginia Beach, VA 23462 – (757) 497-1899 – View Map
Exclusive Insurance Agencies
Agents that elect to be exclusive can only provide one company’s prices such as Farmers Insurance, Allstate, or State Farm. Exclusive agents cannot give you multiple price quotes so if the price isn’t competitive there isn’t much they can do. Exclusive agents are usually well trained on what they offer and that can be a competitive advantage.
Below is a short list of exclusive agencies in Virginia Beach who can help you get comparison quotes.
Hy Dress – State Farm Insurance Agent
1517 Lynnhaven Pkwy #101 – Virginia Beach, VA 23453 – (757) 427-1987 – View Map
Picking the best car insurance agent should include more criteria than just the quoted price. Here are some questions you should ask.
- Do they offer accident forgiveness?
- Will the quote change when the policy is issued?
- How long have they been in business?
- Does the agency support the community they serve?
- Where would your vehicle be repaired?
- Do they have a Better Business Bureau rating in Virginia Beach?
We just covered many ways to lower your Honda HR-V insurance prices in Virginia Beach. It’s most important to understand that the more rate quotes you have, the better likelihood of getting inexpensive Virginia Beach auto insurance quotes. Drivers may even discover the lowest prices come from an unexpected company. Regional companies can often insure niche markets at a lower cost compared to the large companies like Progressive or GEICO.
Low-cost Honda HR-V insurance in Virginia Beach can be found from both online companies as well as from independent agents in Virginia Beach, and you need to price shop both in order to have the best price selection to choose from. There are still a few companies who may not have internet price quotes and these smaller providers work with independent agents.
- Senior Drivers (Insurance Information Institute)
- What Car Insurance is Cheapest for Drivers Under 21 in Virginia Beach? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Virginia Beach Auto Insurance Rates for a Honda CR-V? (FAQ)
- Air Bags: Potential Dangers to Your Children (Insurance Information Institute)
- What if I Can’t Find Coverage? (Insurance Information Institute)