We don’t have to tell you that auto insurance companies want to keep you from shopping around. Insureds who shop around for better prices will, in all likelihood, buy a different policy because of the high probability of finding a lower-cost company. A recent study showed that people who did price comparisons regularly saved about $860 a year as compared to drivers who never compared prices.
If finding low prices for car insurance in Virginia Beach is your target objective, then having some insight into the best ways to find and compare insurance premiums can help make the process easier and more efficient.
If your goal is the lowest price, then the best way to get low-cost car insurance rates is to compare prices regularly from different companies in Virginia Beach. You can compare prices by following these guidelines.
First, take a little time to learn about the coverage provided by your policy and the measures you can take to keep rates low. Many policy risk factors that cause high rates such as getting speeding tickets and a low credit rating can be controlled by improving your driving habits or financial responsibility. Keep reading for additional ideas to prevent high prices and find discounts that may have been missed.
Second, compare price quotes from exclusive agents, independent agents, and direct providers. Direct and exclusive agents can only give prices from a single company like GEICO and Allstate, while agents who are independent can quote rates from multiple companies.
Third, compare the quotes to the premium of your current policy to see if switching to a new carrier will save money. If you can save money, ensure coverage does not lapse between policies.
Fourth, give notification to your current company to cancel your existing policy and submit the signed application along with the required initial payment to your new carrier. Once the paperwork is finalized, keep your new certificate verifying proof of insurance in an easily accessible location.
The critical component of shopping around is to try to use similar coverage information on each quote and and to get price estimates from as many different insurance providers as possible. This enables a fair price comparison and a thorough selection of prices.
Affordable auto insurance in Virginia Beach, VA
The companies shown below are ready to provide free rate quotes in Virginia. If multiple companies are listed, we suggest you get rates from several of them in order to get a fair rate comparison.
Score discounts on Virginia Beach auto insurance
Some insurers don’t always advertise all discounts very clearly, so here is a list some of the best known and also the more inconspicuous discounts you could be receiving when you buy Virginia Beach auto insurance online. If you do not check that you are getting every discount available, you could be saving more on your auto insurance.
- Air Bag Discount – Vehicles with factory air bags or motorized seat belts can qualify for discounts as much as 30%.
- Anti-lock Brake System – Cars, trucks, and SUVs that have steering control and anti-lock brakes are safer to drive and qualify for as much as a 10% discount.
- Payment Discounts – By making one initial payment rather than spreading payments over time you could save up to 5%.
- Lower Rates for Military – Being deployed with a military unit may lower your premium rates slightly.
- Cautious Driver Discounts – Insureds who avoid accidents can save up to 40% or more on their Virginia Beach auto insurance quote as compared to drivers with claims.
- Data Collection Discounts – Drivers who elect to allow their company to study when and where they use their vehicle through the use of a telematics system such as Drivewise from Allstate or Snapshot from Progressive could save a few bucks if they show good driving skills.
- Theft Deterrent System – Cars that have factory anti-theft systems help deter theft and qualify for as much as a 10% discount.
- Seat Belts Save – Forcing all vehicle occupants to fasten their seat belts can save a little on the medical payments or PIP coverage costs.
As is typical with insurance, some of the credits will not apply to the entire cost. The majority will only reduce individual premiums such as liability and collision coverage. So when it seems like adding up those discounts means a free policy, it doesn’t quite work that way.
A list of companies and some of their more popular discounts can be read below.
- The Hartford offers discounts for air bag, bundle, anti-theft, defensive driver, and good student.
- American Family offers discounts including accident-free, TimeAway discount, defensive driver, good student, and multi-vehicle.
- Progressive discounts include multi-policy, multi-vehicle, continuous coverage, homeowner, and online signing.
- Travelers may include discounts for multi-car, new car, payment discounts, IntelliDrive, and home ownership.
- Farmers Insurance may offer discounts for good student, homeowner, teen driver, bundle discounts, and switch companies.
- USAA may have discounts that include good student, defensive driver, annual mileage, loyalty savings, new vehicle, and family discount.
- Liberty Mutual has savings for hybrid vehicle, safety features, multi-policy, preferred payment discount, newly married, new vehicle discount, and multi-car.
If you need low cost Virginia Beach auto insurance quotes, ask each company the best way to save money. Some discounts may not apply to policyholders in Virginia Beach.
Do I need an agent?
Many drivers just want to sit down with an agent and we recommend doing that An additional benefit of comparing rates online is you may find cheaper prices but also keep your business local. Buying insurance from local insurance agencies is important especially in Virginia Beach.
Once you complete this short form, your insurance data is instantly submitted to participating agents in Virginia Beach that can provide free Virginia Beach auto insurance quotes for your coverage. You don’t have to contact any insurance agencies since price quotes are sent to you directly. You can most likely find cheaper rates and an insurance agent to talk to. If for some reason you want to compare prices from one company in particular, feel free to search and find their rate quote page and fill out their quote form.
Do you need an independent or exclusive car insurance agent?
When finding a good insurance agency, it helps to know the two different types of agencies and how they differ in how they quote coverages. Agents in Virginia Beach can either be independent or exclusive depending on the company they work for.
Independent Insurance Agents (or Brokers)
Independent insurance agents can quote rates with many companies and that allows them to write policies with many different companies enabling the ability to shop coverage around. If you are not satisfied with one company, the agent simply finds a different carrier and you don’t have to switch agencies.
When comparing insurance rates, you absolutely need to get rate quotes from several independent agencies to have the most options to choose from.
Listed below are Virginia Beach independent insurance agents that may be able to give free price quotes.
Nationwide Insurance: Steve Love Insurance Agency Inc
4176 S Plaza Trail Ste 101 – Virginia Beach, VA 23452 – (757) 340-1200 – View Map
Exclusive Insurance Agencies
Exclusive insurance agents can only quote rates from one company such as Allstate, Farmers Insurance or State Farm. These agents are unable to provide rate quotes from other companies so it’s a take it or leave it situation. Exclusive agents are usually quite knowledgeable in insurance sales and that can be a competitive advantage.
Listed below is a list of exclusive insurance agents in Virginia Beach who can help you get price quotes.
Hy Dress – State Farm Insurance Agent
1517 Lynnhaven Pkwy #101 – Virginia Beach, VA 23453 – (757) 427-1987 – View Map
Choosing the best car insurance agent needs to be determined by more than just the quoted price. Below are some questions you should ask.
- How is replacement cost determined on your vehicle?
- What are their preferred companies if they are an independent agency?
- If your car is in the repair shop, do you have coverage for a rental car?
- Are claims handled at the agent’s location?
- Does the agent recommend any additional coverage?
- How often do they review policy coverages?
- Is their price quote a firm figure or are their hidden costs?
Upon getting satisfactory answers to all your questions and a good coverage price, you may have found an insurance agent that can service your policy.
How to know if you need help
When quoting and comparing your policy, there really is no “perfect” insurance plan. Coverage needs to be tailored to your specific needs.
For example, these questions can help discover whether or not you might need professional guidance.
- Can I afford to buy a different vehicle if my Honda Clarity is totaled?
- Do I need an umbrella policy?
- Do I need medical payments coverage since I have good health insurance?
- Am I covered if my car is in a flood?
- I don’t drive much so do I pay less?
- Can I pay claims out-of-pocket if I buy high deductibles?
If you don’t know the answers to these questions but you know they apply to you, you may need to chat with a licensed insurance agent. To find lower rates from a local agent, simply complete this short form.
Auto insurance policy specifics
Learning about specific coverages of auto insurance aids in choosing which coverages you need and proper limits and deductibles. The terms used in a policy can be difficult to understand and even agents have difficulty translating policy wording.
Coverage for medical expenses
Personal Injury Protection (PIP) and medical payments coverage provide coverage for bills such as prosthetic devices, dental work, nursing services and EMT expenses. They are utilized in addition to your health insurance policy or if there is no health insurance coverage. They cover both the driver and occupants as well as being hit by a car walking across the street. PIP coverage is only offered in select states but it provides additional coverages not offered by medical payments coverage
Collision coverage protection
This will pay to fix damage to your Clarity resulting from a collision with another vehicle or an object, but not an animal. You will need to pay your deductible and then insurance will cover the remainder.
Collision coverage protects against things like crashing into a building, sustaining damage from a pot hole and driving through your garage door. This coverage can be expensive, so consider removing coverage from vehicles that are older. Another option is to raise the deductible on your Clarity to get cheaper collision coverage.
Liability coverage provides protection from damage or injury you incur to other’s property or people. This insurance protects YOU against other people’s claims. It does not cover damage sustained by your vehicle in an accident.
Split limit liability has three limits of coverage: bodily injury per person, bodily injury per accident and property damage. As an example, you may have values of 25/50/20 which means $25,000 bodily injury coverage, $50,000 for the entire accident, and a total limit of $20,000 for damage to vehicles and property. Alternatively, you may have one number which is a combined single limit which provides one coverage limit with no separate limits for injury or property damage.
Liability coverage pays for things such as structural damage, bail bonds, legal defense fees and emergency aid. How much liability should you purchase? That is a decision to put some thought into, but buy higher limits if possible. Virginia state law requires minimum liability limits of 25/50/20 but you should think about purchasing higher limits.
The next chart demonstrates why buying minimum limits may not be adequate.
Comprehensive auto insurance
This pays to fix your vehicle from damage that is not covered by collision coverage. You first must pay your deductible and the remainder of the damage will be paid by comprehensive coverage.
Comprehensive coverage pays for things such as hitting a deer, falling objects, rock chips in glass and a tree branch falling on your vehicle. The most you can receive from a comprehensive claim is the market value of your vehicle, so if it’s not worth much more than your deductible consider dropping full coverage.
Coverage for uninsured or underinsured drivers
This protects you and your vehicle when the “other guys” either have no liability insurance or not enough. It can pay for medical payments for you and your occupants and damage to your Honda Clarity.
Since many Virginia drivers carry very low liability coverage limits (which is 25/50/20), their limits can quickly be used up. This is the reason having UM/UIM coverage should not be overlooked. Most of the time the UM/UIM limits are set the same as your liability limits.
More effort can pay off
We’ve covered a lot of techniques to reduce Honda Clarity insurance premium rates online in Virginia Beach. The most important thing to understand is the more rate comparisons you have, the better chance you’ll have of finding affordable Honda Clarity insurance quotes. Consumers could even find that the best premium rates are with some of the lesser-known companies.
While you’re price shopping online, it’s very important that you do not buy poor coverage just to save money. There have been many cases where an insured cut collision coverage and found out when filing a claim that it was a big mistake. Your aim should be to buy enough coverage at the lowest possible cost, but do not skimp to save money.
People change insurance companies for many reasons like an unsatisfactory settlement offer, delays in responding to claim requests, not issuing a premium refund and delays in paying claims. Whatever your reason, choosing a new company is not as difficult as it may seem.
Even more information can be found at these sites:
- Crash Avoidance Technologies FAQ (iihs.org)
- What Car Insurance is Cheapest for a Toyota Corolla in Virginia Beach? (FAQ)
- How Much are Car Insurance Quotes for Postal Workers in Virginia Beach? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Virginia Beach Auto Insurance Quotes for Infrequent Drivers? (FAQ)
- What Car Insurance is Cheapest for Drivers with a Bad Driving Record in Virginia Beach? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Car Insurance Quotes for a Nissan Rogue in Virginia Beach? (FAQ)
- Information for Teen Drivers (GEICO)
- What if I Can’t Find Coverage? (Insurance Information Institute)