Sad but true, most consumers in Virginia kept their coverage with the same insurance company for well over three years, and nearly half have never compared rates with other companies. Consumers in the United States could save an average of up to $859 each year just by getting comparison quotes, but they just don’t understand how much they could save if they changed companies.
If saving the most money is your goal, then the best way to find the cheapest price for car insurance rates in Virginia Beach is to regularly compare prices from insurance carriers who provide auto insurance in Virginia.
- Get an understanding of how car insurance works and the things you can change to prevent high rates. Many policy risk factors that cause high rates like at-fault accidents, speeding tickets, and a lousy credit rating can be controlled by paying attention to minor details.
- Compare rates from exclusive agents, independent agents, and direct providers. Direct companies and exclusive agencies can only give rate quotes from a single company like GEICO or Farmers Insurance, while independent agents can quote prices for a wide range of companies. Compare rates
- Compare the new rate quotes to your existing policy to see if switching to a new carrier will save money. If you find a better price and change companies, make sure the effective date of the new policy is the same as the expiration date of the old one.
- Notify your agent or company of your decision to cancel your current auto insurance policy. Submit a signed application and payment to the new insurer. Once received, place the new proof of insurance certificate along with the vehicle’s registration papers.
The key aspect of shopping around is to try to use the same deductibles and limits on each quote and and to get prices from as many different insurance providers as possible. Doing this enables an apples-to-apples comparison and the most accurate and complete price analysis.
Shopping around for more affordable insurance in Virginia Beach is not that difficult. Essentially every car owner who is required by state law to have insurance will find lower prices. But Virginia car owners need to learn how companies sell insurance online because it can help you find the best coverage.
Informed Consumers Can Cut Their Insurance Costs
Many factors are used in the calculation when you get your auto insurance bill. Some are obvious like a motor vehicle report, but other factors are less apparent like your continuous coverage or your financial responsibility. An important part of buying insurance is that you know the different types of things that help calculate your policy premiums. If you understand what controls the rates you pay, this helps enable you to make changes that will entitle you to better auto insurance rates.
Insurance is expensive for teenage drivers – Older drivers have been proven to be more responsible, are lower risk to insure, and tend to be get fewer driving tickets. Inexperience drivers are statistically shown to be less responsible in a vehicle so auto insurance rates are higher.
Multiple policies with one company can save – Most major companies will give better rates for people who carry more than one policy. It’s known as a multi-policy discount. If you currently are using one company, it’s in your best interest to comparison shop to ensure the best deal. You may still be able to save money even if you have your coverage with different companies
Save money with responsible credit – Having a good credit score will be a significant factor in determining premium rates. Drivers who have high credit scores tend to file fewer claims and have better driving records than drivers who have bad credit. Therefore, if your credit score leaves room for improvement, you could save money insuring your Kia Borrego by repairing your credit.
Fewer miles means better premiums – The more you drive your Kia every year the higher your rate. Most insurance companies calculate rates based upon how you use the vehicle. Vehicles left parked in the garage cost less to insure than vehicles that are driven to work every day. Having an incorrect usage rating on your Borrego can result in significantly higher rates. It’s a good idea to make sure your auto insurance declarations sheet properly reflects the correct usage for each vehicle.
Gals tend to take less risk – Statistics demonstrate women tend to be less risk to insure than men. Now that doesn’t mean females are better at driving than males. Both genders cause accidents in similar numbers, but guys cause more damage. Not only that, but men also get ticketed for serious violations like DWI (DUI) or reckless driving. Teenage male drivers generally have the highest accident percentage so they pay the highest premiums.
Small claims can cost you – Insurance companies in Virginia generally give lower rates to policyholders who do not file claims often. If you file a lot of claims you can expect higher rates. Your insurance policy is designed for major claims that would cause financial hardship.
Incidental coverages that aren’t used – Policies have extra bells and whistles that you can buy on your auto insurance policy. Insurance for rental car coverage, better glass coverage, and motor club memberships could be just wasting money. They may sound like good ideas at first, but if you don’t need them eliminate them to save money.
Don’t overlook these Kia Borrego insurance discounts
Some providers don’t always publicize every possible discount very well, so the following is a list of a few of the more well known as well as the least known credits that you can use to lower your rates. If you do not check that you are getting every discount you qualify for, you could be paying more than you need to.
- Drive Safe and Save – Insureds without accidents could pay up to 40% less than drivers with accident claims.
- Claim Free – Virginia Beach drivers who stay claim-free pay much less in comparison to insureds who have frequent claims or accidents.
- Save over 55 – Older drivers are able to get a slight reduction on a Virginia Beach car insurance quote.
- Seat Belt Usage – Forcing all vehicle occupants to fasten their seat belts may be able to save a few bucks on the medical payments or PIP coverage costs.
- Anti-lock Brake Discount – Cars and trucks that have steering control and anti-lock brakes prevent accidents and the ABS can save up to 10%.
- Multi-car Discount – Buying coverage for multiple vehicles on a single policy can reduce the rates for all insured vehicles.
- Defensive Driver – Passing a driver safety course is a good idea and can lower rates and make you a better driver.
- Smart Student Discounts – Getting good grades can get you a discount of up to 25%. The discount lasts until age 25.
- Accident Forgiveness Coverage – This one is not really a discount per se, but some insurance companies permit an accident before your rates go up so long as you are claim-free for a particular time prior to the accident.
Keep in mind that some of the credits will not apply to the entire policy premium. A few only apply to individual premiums such as liability, collision or medical payments. So even though it sounds like you can get free auto insurance, company stockholders wouldn’t be very happy.
To locate insurers who offer auto insurance discounts in Virginia Beach, click here.
Keep this in mind when shopping around
Consumers change insurance companies for a variety of reasons including an unsatisfactory settlement offer, extreme rates for teen drivers, high prices and not issuing a premium refund. No matter why you want to switch, finding the right car insurance provider can be pretty painless.
Cheaper car insurance in Virginia Beach can be purchased on the web and from local agencies, so get free Virginia Beach car insurance quotes from both of them in order to have the best price selection to choose from. There are still a few companies who do not provide online price quotes and many times these smaller companies only sell coverage through independent agencies.
In this article, we presented a lot of information how to lower your Kia Borrego insurance rates in Virginia Beach. The key thing to remember is the more rate comparisons you have, the better your chances of lowering your auto insurance rates. You may even discover the lowest rates are with a small mutual company.
Much more information about car insurance in Virginia can be found at the links below
- Distracted Driving (Insurance Information Institute)
- Who Has the Cheapest Virginia Beach Auto Insurance for Veterans? (FAQ)
- How Much are Virginia Beach Auto Insurance Rates for a Jeep Wrangler? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Auto Insurance Quotes for a Jeep Grand Cherokee in Virginia Beach? (FAQ)
- Preventing Carjacking and Theft (Insurance Information Institute)
- New vehicle ratings focus on headlights (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)