It’s safe to assume that car insurance companies don’t want policyholders to shop around. People who shop around annually are highly likely to switch to a new company because there is a great chance of finding a lower-priced company. A study showed that people who made a habit of comparing rates saved on average $72 a month compared to drivers who never shopped for cheaper rates.
If finding low prices for auto insurance in Virginia Beach is your objective, then knowing the best ways to shop for insurance rates can help make the process easier and more efficient.
The most effective way to get affordable car insurance rates in Virginia Beach is to compare quotes once a year from insurance carriers who sell auto insurance in Virginia. This can be done by completing these steps.
- Try to understand how insurance works and the things you can change to keep rates down. Many policy risk factors that drive up the price like your driving record and an unacceptable credit rating can be improved by improving your driving habits or financial responsibility.
- Get rate quotes from exclusive agents, independent agents, and direct providers. Exclusive agents and direct companies can provide rates from one company like Progressive or Allstate, while independent agents can quote prices from multiple insurance companies.
- Compare the new rate quotes to your existing coverage and determine if there is any savings. If you can save money, make sure there is no lapse between the expiration of your current policy and the new one.
- Provide adequate notice to your current company of your decision to cancel your current policy and submit a signed application and payment to the new company. Be sure to safely store the proof of insurance paperwork in an easily accessible location.
The key thing to remember is to use the same level of coverage on each quote request and and to get rate quotes from as many different insurance providers as possible. Doing this guarantees an accurate price comparison and a thorough price selection.
If you are already insured, you will surely be able to find better prices using the tips covered below. Our objective in writing this article is to teach you a little about how to compare rates easily and how to save the most money. Although Virginia drivers benefit from understanding the methods companies use to charge you for coverage because it varies considerably.
When price shopping your coverage, comparing more prices provides better odds of finding lower pricing.
The companies shown below have been selected to offer quotes in Virginia Beach, VA. If you want cheap auto insurance in VA, it’s highly recommended you visit two to three different companies to get a more complete price comparison.
The coverage information displayed below outlines different coverage prices for Chevy Tahoe models. Learning a little about how auto insurance policy rates are figured is important for making smart choices when buying a car insurance policy.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Tahoe LS 2WD||$156||$264||$262||$16||$78||$776||$65|
|Tahoe LS 4WD||$176||$264||$262||$16||$78||$796||$66|
|Tahoe LT 2WD||$176||$264||$262||$16||$78||$796||$66|
|Tahoe LT 4WD||$176||$264||$262||$16||$78||$796||$66|
|Tahoe LTZ 2WD||$176||$312||$262||$16||$78||$844||$70|
|Tahoe LTZ 4WD||$176||$312||$262||$16||$78||$844||$70|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Table data assumes married female driver age 30, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $500 deductibles, and Virginia minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include claim-free, homeowner, multi-vehicle, safe-driver, and multi-policy. Price estimates do not factor in the specific area where the vehicle is garaged which can influence prices significantly.
Price comparison of only insuring for liability
The information below compares Chevy Tahoe insurance premiums with and without physical damage coverage. The data is based on a clean driving record, no claims, $500 deductibles, single status, and no discounts are taken into consideration.
When to buy liability coverage only
There is no definitive formula of when to exclude full coverage on your policy, but there is a guideline you can consider. If the annual cost of coverage is more than around 10% of replacement cost minus your deductible, then you might want to consider buying only liability coverage.
For example, let’s pretend your Chevy Tahoe replacement value is $7,000 and you have $1,000 physical damage deductibles. If your vehicle is severely damaged, the most you would get paid by your company is $6,000 after paying the physical damage deductible. If you are paying over $600 annually to have full coverage, then it might be time to buy liability only.
There are a few cases where dropping physical damage coverage is not financially feasible. If you haven’t paid off your loan, you have to keep full coverage to protect the lienholder’s interest in the vehicle. Also, if your finances do not allow you to purchase a different vehicle in the event your current vehicle is totaled, you should keep full coverage in place.
Why auto insurance is not optional
Even though Virginia Beach Tahoe insurance rates can get expensive, insurance is required by state law in Virginia and it also provides benefits you may not be aware of.
- The majority of states have compulsory liability insurance requirements which means it is punishable by state law to not carry a specific minimum amount of liability if you don’t want to risk a ticket. In Virginia these limits are 25/50/20 which means you must have $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $20,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you have a lien on your Chevy Tahoe, most lenders will force you to have comprehensive coverage to guarantee their interest in the vehicle. If coverage lapses or is canceled, the bank may insure your Chevy at a significantly higher premium and force you to pay the higher price.
- Insurance safeguards not only your car but also your financial assets. Insurance will also pay for many types of medical costs that are the result of an accident. Liability coverage, the one required by state law, also covers legal expenses if you are named as a defendant in an auto accident. If your vehicle suffers damage from an accident or hail, collision and comprehensive (also known as other-than-collision) coverage will pay to restore your vehicle to like-new condition.
The benefits of carrying enough insurance more than cancel out the cost, especially if you ever need it. The average driver in Virginia is wasting up to $865 each year so you should quote rates at every renewal to help ensure money is not being wasted.
Cheap Chevy Tahoe insurance quotes in Virginia Beach
Some insurers don’t always list their entire list of discounts very clearly, so the list below gives a summary of a few of the more common as well as some of the hidden discounts that you may qualify for.
- Accident Free – Insureds who avoid accidents and claims pay less when compared to insureds who have frequent claims or accidents.
- Home Ownership Discount – Just being a homeowner can save you money because owning a home requires personal responsibility.
- Driver Safety – Completing a defensive driving course could cut 5% off your bill if you qualify.
- Drive Safe and Save – Accident-free drivers may receive a discount up to 45% compared to rates paid by drivers with frequent claims.
- Sign Online – Some companies give back up to $50 for buying your policy on the internet.
- Braking Control Discount – Cars with anti-lock braking systems prevent accidents and earn discounts up to 10%.
- Use Seat Belts – Drivers who require all occupants to wear their seat belts could save 15% off the personal injury premium cost.
Just know that most credits do not apply to your bottom line cost. Most only reduce specific coverage prices like comp or med pay. So even though it sounds like adding up those discounts means a free policy, it’s just not the way it works.
The example below shows the difference between Chevy Tahoe annual premium costs with and without discounts. The prices are based on a female driver, a clean driving record, no claims, Virginia state minimum liability limits, full physical damage coverage, and $100 deductibles. The first bar for each age group shows premium with no discounts. The second shows the rates with multi-car, claim-free, safe-driver, homeowner, marriage, and multi-policy discounts applied.
A partial list of companies that may offer quotes with these money-saving discounts are:
When getting a coverage quote, ask each company to apply every possible discount. Depending on the company, some discounts may not be offered in Virginia Beach. For a list of companies that offer multiple discounts in Virginia Beach, click here to view.
Shop online but buy locally
Some consumers just want to sit down and talk to an agent and there is nothing wrong with that. The biggest benefit of comparing insurance prices online is you can get the lowest rates and still choose a local agent.
To find an agent, once you fill out this form (opens in new window), your insurance coverage information is emailed to local insurance agents who can give free rate quotes for your insurance coverage. It makes it easy because there is no need to leave your computer because quoted prices will be sent to you directly. You can find the lowest rates and an insurance agent to talk to. In the event you want to compare prices from a specific insurance company, don’t hesitate to navigate to their website and fill out their quote form.
Selecting an company requires more thought than just the quoted price. Any agent in Virginia Beach should have no problem answering these questions:
- Is the coverage adequate for your vehicle?
- Do they prorate repair cost based on vehicle mileage?
- Do they get extra compensation for selling add-on coverages?
- If your car is in the repair shop, do you have coverage for a rental car?
- When do they do policy reviews?
After getting satisfactory answers to all your questions as well as an affordable premium quote, it’s possible that you found an insurer that is reliable enough to insure your vehicles.
Auto insurance company ratings
Picking the best auto insurance company is hard considering how many choices drivers have in Virginia Beach. The information displayed below could help you select which car insurance providers you want to consider to insure your vehicles.
|Company||Value||Customer Service||Claims||Customer Satisfaction||A.M Best Rating||Overall Score|
|Compare Rates Now Go|
Data Source: Insure.com Best Car Insurance Companies
There’s no such thing as the perfect auto insurance policy
When choosing coverage for your personal vehicles, there really is no one-size-fits-all type of policy. Your needs are unique to you.
For example, these questions may help highlight if your insurance needs might need professional guidance.
- How much coverage applies to personal belongings?
- Should I pay a claim out-of-pocket?
- At what point should I drop full coverage?
- Do I have coverage if I rent a car in Mexico?
- Am I covered when renting a car or should I buy coverage from the car rental agency?
- Are all vehicle passengers covered by medical payments coverage?
- Is my Chevy Tahoe covered if I use it for business?
- Are there any extra discounts I can get?
If you don’t know the answers to these questions but one or more may apply to you, then you may want to think about talking to an insurance agent. If you want to speak to an agent in your area, complete this form.
What auto insurance coverages do you need?
Learning about specific coverages of auto insurance can help you determine which coverages you need for your vehicles. The coverage terms in a policy can be difficult to understand and reading a policy is terribly boring.
UM/UIM (Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist) coverage – This coverage gives you protection when the “other guys” do not carry enough liability coverage. It can pay for medical payments for you and your occupants and damage to your Chevy Tahoe.
Since many Virginia drivers only carry the minimum required liability limits (25/50/20 in Virginia), their liability coverage can quickly be exhausted. This is the reason having UM/UIM coverage is important protection for you and your family.
Collision coverage – Collision coverage covers damage to your Tahoe from colliding with a stationary object or other vehicle. A deductible applies then your collision coverage will kick in.
Collision can pay for claims like hitting a mailbox, crashing into a ditch and rolling your car. This coverage can be expensive, so consider dropping it from older vehicles. You can also bump up the deductible on your Tahoe to bring the cost down.
Medical payments and PIP coverage – Coverage for medical payments and/or PIP provide coverage for bills like X-ray expenses, prosthetic devices, EMT expenses and rehabilitation expenses. They are used to fill the gap from your health insurance plan or if you are not covered by health insurance. Coverage applies to both the driver and occupants and also covers getting struck while a pedestrian. Personal injury protection coverage is not available in all states but it provides additional coverages not offered by medical payments coverage
Liability – Liability coverage will cover damage that occurs to other’s property or people. This coverage protects you from legal claims by others, and doesn’t cover damage to your own property or vehicle.
Split limit liability has three limits of coverage: bodily injury per person, bodily injury per accident and property damage. Your policy might show liability limits of 25/50/20 that translate to a $25,000 limit per person for injuries, a limit of $50,000 in injury protection per accident, and a limit of $20,000 paid for damaged property.
Liability coverage protects against claims such as legal defense fees, court costs and bail bonds. How much coverage you buy is your choice, but buy as much as you can afford. Virginia requires drivers to carry at least 25/50/20 but you should consider buying more liability than the minimum.
The illustration below shows why buying the state minimum limits may not be adequate.
Comprehensive auto coverage – This coverage covers damage OTHER than collision with another vehicle or object. You first must pay your deductible and the remainder of the damage will be paid by comprehensive coverage.
Comprehensive insurance covers claims like fire damage, vandalism, theft, damage from getting keyed and falling objects. The maximum amount a auto insurance company will pay at claim time is the ACV or actual cash value, so if the vehicle is not worth much it’s probably time to drop comprehensive insurance.
Drivers change insurance companies for a number of reasons such as delays in responding to claim requests, delays in paying claims, poor customer service or policy non-renewal. It doesn’t matter what your reason, finding a great new company is pretty easy and you might even save some money in the process.
In this article, we covered some good ideas how you can reduce Chevy Tahoe insurance premium rates online in Virginia Beach. The key thing to remember is the more companies you get prices for, the higher your chance of finding cheaper Virginia Beach auto insurance quotes. You may even find the best premium rates are with a smaller regional carrier.
As you restructure your insurance plan, you should never reduce coverage to reduce premium. There are many occasions where an insured dropped liability limits or collision coverage and found out when filing a claim they didn’t purchase enough coverage. Your goal is to buy a smart amount of coverage for the lowest price.
For more information, feel free to visit the following helpful articles:
- Five Mistakes to Avoid (Insurance Information Institute)
- What Car Insurance is Cheapest for Drivers Under 21 in Virginia Beach? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Car Insurance Quotes for Young Drivers in Virginia Beach? (FAQ)
- How Much are Auto Insurance Quotes for a Nissan Versa in Virginia Beach? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Virginia Beach Auto Insurance for Seniors? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Auto Insurance for Felons in Virginia Beach? (FAQ)
- What Car Insurance is Cheapest for High Risk Drivers in Virginia Beach? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Auto Insurance for a 20 Year Old Male in Virginia Beach? (FAQ)
- What is Covered by an Auto Insurance Policy? (Insurance Information Institute)
- Teen Driving Statistics (iihs.org)
- Frontal Crash Tests (iihs.org)
- Protect Yourself Against Auto Theft (Insurance Information Institute)