It’s an obvious assumption that car insurance companies don’t want their customers to go rate shopping. Drivers who shop around at least once a year are likely to switch auto insurance companies because there is a significant possibility of finding discount prices. A recent survey discovered that people who compared rates regularly saved about $865 annually compared to people who never shopped for cheaper rates.
If finding the lowest rates on car insurance in Virginia Beach is your ultimate goal, understanding how to get price quotes and compare auto insurance can make the process less intimidating.
If you want to find the absolute lowest rates, then the best way to find affordable auto insurance rates is to compare quotes once a year from providers in Virginia Beach.
- Take a few minutes and learn about how your policy works and the factors you can control to prevent high rates. Many things that result in higher rates such as getting speeding tickets and a low credit score can be eliminated by making minor changes to your lifestyle. This article provides instructions to help reduce prices and find additional discounts you may qualify for.
- Compare prices from independent agents, exclusive agents, and direct companies. Direct and exclusive agents can only provide price estimates from one company like Progressive or State Farm, while independent agencies can give you price quotes for many different companies.
- Compare the new rate quotes to the price on your current policy to see if a cheaper price is available in Virginia Beach. If you can save money and buy the policy, make sure there is no coverage gap between policies.
- Provide proper notification to your current company to cancel your current coverage. Submit a completed policy application and payment to the new insurer. When you receive it, put the certificate of insurance along with your vehicle registration.
An important part of this process is to try to compare the same level of coverage on each quote request and and to get price quotes from as many companies as possible. This guarantees an accurate price comparison and many rates to choose from.
If you are insured now, you will most likely be able to shop for the lowest rates using the ideas you’re about to read. Finding the cheapest car insurance coverage in Virginia Beach is really quite easy. But Virginia drivers do need to understand the way companies sell insurance online because rates fluctuate considerably.
When comparing auto insurance rates, know that quoting more helps increase your odds of locating more affordable insurance. Some regional insurers cannot provide online Virginia Beach Leaf insurance quotes, so you need to compare rates from them as well.
The companies shown below can provide price quotes in Virginia Beach, VA. If you wish to find the best car insurance in Virginia Beach, VA, we recommend you compare several of them to get the most competitive price.
Earn discounts on Virginia Beach insurance
Not too many consumers would say insurance is affordable, but there are discounts available that you may not even be aware of. A few discounts will be applied at the time of quoting, but occasionally some discounts must be asked for prior to receiving the credit.
- Claim Free – Drivers with accident-free driving histories get the best insurance rates as opposed to frequent claim filers.
- Clubs and Organizations – Participating in certain professional organizations is a simple method to lower premiums on your next renewal.
- Own a Home and Save – Just owning your own home can save you money because maintaining a house requires personal responsibility.
- Defensive Driver Discounts – Participating in a class that teaches defensive driving techniques could possibly earn you a 5% discount if you qualify.
- Senior Citizen Rates – Seniors are able to get better insurance rates.
- Low Mileage Discounts – Maintaining low annual mileage could qualify for substantially lower insurance rates.
- Anti-theft Discount – Cars, trucks, and SUVs optioned with advanced anti-theft systems are less likely to be stolen and will qualify for a discount on a Virginia Beach auto insurance quote.
Discounts reduce rates, but you should keep in mind that some of the credits will not apply to the entire cost. Some only apply to individual premiums such as comp or med pay. So even though you would think having all the discounts means you get insurance for free, that’s just not realistic.
If you would like to choose from a list of insurance companies who offer discounts in Virginia, click here.
Insurance agent or online?
A small number of people would rather sit down and talk to an agent. The biggest benefit of comparing rate quotes online is you may find the best rates but also keep your business local.
Upon completion of this form (opens in new window), the quote information gets sent to companies in Virginia Beach who will give you quotes to get your business. You won’t even need to drive around because quoted prices will be sent immediately to your email address. You’ll get the best rates AND a local agent. If you need to get a price quote from a specific company, feel free to find their quoting web page and fill out their quote form.
Deciding on an insurance company requires you to look at more than just the quoted price. Before buying a policy in Virginia Beach, get answers to these questions.
- Is the agency active in community causes in Virginia Beach?
- Is working in the agency their full-time job?
- What insurance company do they write the most business with?
- Is there a Errors and Omissions policy in force?
- Do they write coverage based solely on cost?
What type of Virginia Beach car insurance agent is right for you?
If you are wanting to find a good insurance agency, there are a couple of different types of agencies that you can choose from. Agents are either independent (non-exclusive) or exclusive.
Exclusive Auto Insurance Agents
Agents that elect to be exclusive can only write with one company like Allstate, State Farm and Farm Bureau. These agents are not able to give you multiple price quotes so if the price isn’t competitive there isn’t much they can do. They are very knowledgeable on their products and sales techniques which aids in selling service over price.
Shown below are Virginia Beach exclusive insurance agencies who may provide you with rate quotes.
Independent Auto Insurance Agencies
Independent agents are not employed by one company and that is an advantage because they can write policies with lots of companies and find the cheapest auto insurance rates. If premiums increase, your policy is moved internally and you won’t have to switch agencies.
If you need cheaper auto insurance rates, you need to get quotes from several independent agencies to get the best comparison.
Shown below are independent agents in Virginia Beach that are able to give rate quotes.
Situations that may require an agent’s advice
Always keep in mind that when comparing coverage online or from an agent, there really is not a cookie cutter policy. You are unique.
For example, these questions might help in determining if you would benefit from an agent’s advice.
- How high should deductibles be on a Nissan Leaf?
- What if I total my Nissan Leaf and owe more than it’s worth?
- Where can I find high-risk insurance?
- Do I really need UM/UIM coverage?
- Is pet coverage available?
- Why are teen drivers so expensive to add on to my policy?
- Is my business laptop covered if it gets stolen from my vehicle?
If you’re not sure about those questions, then you may want to think about talking to a licensed insurance agent. If you want to speak to an agent in your area, fill out this quick form.
Auto insurance in Virginia serves several purposes
Even though it can be expensive, insurance is required in Virginia but also provides important benefits.
- The majority of states have mandatory liability insurance requirements which means the state requires a minimum amount of liability if you want to drive legally. In Virginia these limits are 25/50/20 which means you must have $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $20,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you have a lien on your Nissan Leaf, it’s most likely the lender will make it a condition of the loan that you have insurance to ensure the loan is repaid in case of a total loss. If you let the policy lapse, the bank may buy a policy for your Nissan at a much higher premium rate and force you to pay the higher premium.
- Insurance protects not only your Nissan Leaf but also your assets. It will also pay for all forms of medical expenses that are the result of an accident. Liability insurance, one of your policy coverages, also covers legal expenses if you are named as a defendant in an auto accident. If you receive damage to your vehicle caused by a storm or accident, collision and comprehensive coverages will pay to repair the damage minus the deductible amount.
The benefits of carrying adequate insurance definitely exceed the price paid, particularly if you ever have a claim. But the average driver in Virginia overpays more than $830 a year so smart consumers compare quotes each time the policy renews to make sure the price is not too high.
Parts of your insurance policy
Learning about specific coverages of insurance aids in choosing which coverages you need and proper limits and deductibles. Insurance terms can be confusing and even agents have difficulty translating policy wording.
Comprehensive insurance pays to fix your vehicle from damage OTHER than collision with another vehicle or object. You first have to pay a deductible then your comprehensive coverage will pay.
Comprehensive coverage pays for claims such as a broken windshield, rock chips in glass, damage from flooding, fire damage and theft. The maximum amount you’ll receive from a claim is the cash value of the vehicle, so if the vehicle is not worth much it’s probably time to drop comprehensive insurance.
Liability auto insurance
Liability insurance protects you from injuries or damage you cause to a person or their property by causing an accident. Liability coverage has three limits: per person bodily injury, per accident bodily injury, and a property damage limit. You might see limits of 25/50/20 that translate to a limit of $25,000 per injured person, a per accident bodily injury limit of $50,000, and $20,000 of coverage for damaged property.
Liability coverage pays for things such as funeral expenses, medical expenses, medical services, repair bills for other people’s vehicles and emergency aid. The amount of liability coverage you purchase is a decision to put some thought into, but consider buying as large an amount as possible. Virginia state law requires minimum liability limits of 25/50/20 but drivers should carry higher limits.
The next chart shows why buying minimum limits may not be enough.
Auto collision coverage
Collision coverage covers damage to your Leaf caused by collision with another car or object. You have to pay a deductible then your collision coverage will kick in.
Collision can pay for claims like scraping a guard rail, sideswiping another vehicle, colliding with another moving vehicle and crashing into a building. This coverage can be expensive, so consider dropping it from vehicles that are older. Another option is to raise the deductible on your Leaf in order to get cheaper collision rates.
Coverage for uninsured or underinsured drivers
This protects you and your vehicle when other motorists either are underinsured or have no liability coverage at all. It can pay for medical payments for you and your occupants as well as damage to your Nissan Leaf.
Due to the fact that many Virginia drivers carry very low liability coverage limits (Virginia limits are 25/50/20), their limits can quickly be used up. So UM/UIM coverage is a good idea.
Coverage for medical expenses
Coverage for medical payments and/or PIP kick in for bills for X-ray expenses, chiropractic care and rehabilitation expenses. They can be used to fill the gap from your health insurance plan or if you are not covered by health insurance. They cover you and your occupants as well as any family member struck as a pedestrian. Personal injury protection coverage is only offered in select states but it provides additional coverages not offered by medical payments coverage
Auto insurance savings summarized
Drivers who switch companies do it for any number of reasons including lack of trust in their agent, not issuing a premium refund, policy cancellation and even denial of a claim. Regardless of your reason, finding a great new company is not as hard as you think.
We just presented a lot of tips how to find lower-cost Nissan Leaf insurance in Virginia Beach. The key concept to understand is the more price quotes you have, the better your chances of lowering your premium rates. Drivers may even discover the lowest car insurance rates are with a company that doesn’t do a lot of advertising.
Discount Nissan Leaf insurance in Virginia Beach is attainable both online and with local Virginia Beach insurance agents, and you should compare rates from both in order to have the best price selection to choose from. Some insurance companies may not offer online quoting and many times these small, regional companies prefer to sell through independent insurance agents.
More tips and info about auto insurance is available in these articles:
- Speed and Speed Limit FAQ (iihs.org)
- Who Has Cheap Virginia Beach Car Insurance Rates for Low Credit Scores? (FAQ)
- What Car Insurance is Cheapest for a Company Car in Virginia Beach? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Car Insurance Quotes for Good Students in Virginia Beach? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Car Insurance for Homeowners in Virginia Beach? (FAQ)
- What Car Insurance is Cheapest for Drivers with a Bad Driving Record in Virginia Beach? (FAQ)
- Warning systems don’t curb driver distraction (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- Prom Night Tips for Teen Drivers (State Farm)
- Distracted Driving (Insurance Information Institute)
- Teen Driver Licensing Information (iihs.org)