It goes without saying that car insurance companies want to keep you from comparing prices. Consumers who shop around annually are highly likely to move their business because there are good odds of finding a cheaper policy. A recent survey revealed that drivers who shopped around annually saved approximately $860 a year compared to other drivers who never compared other company’s rates.
If finding the best price on car insurance in Virginia Beach is your target objective, then having some knowledge of how to shop for insurance can help simplify the task of finding more affordable coverage.
The most effective way to get cheaper auto insurance rates in Virginia Beach is to start comparing rates regularly from providers in Virginia. This can be done by following these steps.
First, read about coverages and the things you can change to keep rates down. Many rating criteria that cause rate increases such as multiple speeding tickets and poor credit can be improved by making lifestyle changes or driving safer.
Second, compare price quotes from exclusive agents, independent agents, and direct providers. Exclusive agents and direct companies can give quotes from one company like GEICO or Allstate, while agents who are independent can provide price quotes from multiple sources.
Third, compare the new rates to your existing policy and see if there is a cheaper rate. If you find a better price and make a switch, make sure the effective date of the new policy is the same as the expiration date of the old one.
An important bit of advice to remember is to make sure you enter the same deductibles and limits on every price quote and and to get quotes from every company you can. Doing this provides a fair price comparison and a thorough price selection.
Locating the cheapest policy in Virginia Beach is not as confusing as people think. In essence, each driver who compares rates for insurance stands a good chance to find a lower-cost policy. Although Virginia consumers do need to know the way insurance companies compete online because rates are impacted by many factors.
Low cost Pontiac G8 insurance prices in Virginia Beach, VA
Just keep in mind that making a lot of price comparisons helps improve the odds of finding the best price. Not every company allows you to get Virginia Beach G8 insurance quotes over the internet, so it’s important to compare rates from the smaller companies as well.
The car insurance companies shown below provide free rate quotes in Virginia. To get the best car insurance in Virginia Beach, it’s a good idea that you compare several of them in order to get a fair rate comparison.
Auto insurance policy discounts for Pontiac G8 insurance in Virginia Beach
Auto insurance is easily one of your largest bills, but there may be some discounts that could help you make your next renewal payment. A few discounts will be applied when you complete an application, but once in a while a discount must be asked about in order for you to get them.
- New Car Discount – Buying coverage on a new vehicle can get you a discount due to better safety requirements for new model year vehicles.
- Passive Restraints and Air Bags – Cars that have air bags can receive discounts of 20% or more.
- Discounts for Seat Belt Usage – Buckling up and requiring all passengers to buckle up before driving could cut 10% or more off the personal injury premium cost.
- Defensive Driver Discounts – Successfully completing a course teaching driver safety skills can save you 5% or more and easily recoup the cost of the course.
- Renewal Discounts – Select insurance companies give a discount for switching companies prior to your current G8 insurance policy expiration. It’s a savings of about 10%.
- Multiple Vehicles – Purchasing coverage when you have multiple vehicles on a single policy could earn a price break for each car.
- Cautious Driver Discount – Drivers without accidents can pay as much as 50% less compared to accident prone drivers.
A little note about advertised discounts, most credits do not apply to the overall cost of the policy. Most only reduce specific coverage prices like physical damage coverage or medical payments. Despite the fact that it seems like you could get a free auto insurance policy, companies wouldn’t make money that way.
A list of auto insurance companies and a summarized list of policyholder discounts are:
- The Hartford includes discounts for vehicle fuel type, bundle, air bag, anti-theft, good student, defensive driver, and driver training.
- American Family may have discounts that include bundled insurance, air bags, accident-free, Steer into Savings, and early bird.
- Progressive has savings for multi-vehicle, online signing, homeowner, multi-policy, continuous coverage, and good student.
- Travelers discounts include driver training, home ownership, multi-policy, payment discounts, continuous insurance, hybrid/electric vehicle, and good student.
- Farmers Insurance offers discounts including youthful driver, mature driver, alternative fuel, business and professional, multi-car, and switch companies.
- USAA may offer discounts for annual mileage, multi-policy, new vehicle, loyalty savings, safe driver, multi-vehicle, and good student.
- Liberty Mutual may include discounts for preferred payment discount, multi-policy, exclusive group savings, newly retired, teen driver discount, good student, and newly married.
Before purchasing a policy, check with each company what discounts are available to you. Discounts might not be available to policyholders in your area. To find insurers with significant discounts in Virginia, click here to view.
When to talk to a local insurance agent
Many people prefer to buy from a local agent and that is not a bad decision The biggest benefit of comparing insurance prices online is the fact that you can find the best rates and still have a local agent. And supporting neighborhood agents is still important in Virginia Beach.
To make it easy to find an agent, after completing this form (opens in new window), your coverage information is emailed to insurance agents in Virginia Beach who will give you bids for your business. There is no need to contact an agency as quotes are delivered directly to your email. You can find better rates and work with a local agent. If you want to compare prices for a specific company, just go to their quote page and fill out their quote form.
If you prefer to buy insurance from a local Virginia Beach insurance agency, you must know there are a couple different types of agencies and how they function. Insurance agents are either independent (non-exclusive) or exclusive.
Independent Insurance Agents (or Brokers)
Independent agents are appointed with more than one company and that enables them to quote your coverage with any number of different companies and possibly get better coverage at lower prices. If prices rise, they simply move your policy to a different company which requires no work on your part. When searching for an agent, you need to get rate quotes from a few independent agents to ensure the widest selection of prices. They also have the ability to place coverage with smaller regional carriers which may have better rates.
The following is a list of independent insurance agents in Virginia Beach who may provide price quote information.
- Bordeaux Insurance Agency
4654 Haygood Rd – Virginia Beach, VA 23455 – (757) 460-6220 – View Map
- Nicki Kopassis Insurance Agency Inc.
2433 N Landing Rd – Virginia Beach, VA 23456 – (757) 301-6397 – View Map
- Insurance Strategies – The Cooksey Agency
780 Lynnhaven Pkwy #400 – Virginia Beach, VA 23452 – (757) 819-6896 – View Map
Exclusive agencies are contracted to one company such as AAA, Allstate, and State Farm. These agents are not able to provide rate quotes from other companies so you need to shop around if the rates are high. Exclusive agencies are usually quite knowledgeable on sales techniques which can be an advantage. Some insured continue to use the same agent partially due to the brand instead of buying on price only.
The following are Virginia Beach exclusive agencies that can give you price quotes.
- Jane Peak – State Farm Insurance Agent
315 N Great Neck Rd #220 – Virginia Beach, VA 23454 – (757) 340-8060 – View Map
- Rose Goheen – State Farm Insurance Agent
1112 Laskin Rd – Virginia Beach, VA 23451 – (757) 428-8002 – View Map
- Rhonda Floasin – State Farm Insurance Agent
1115 Independence Blvd #214 – Virginia Beach, VA 23455 – (757) 363-7376 – View Map
Deciding on an car insurance agent should include more criteria than just the quoted price. Here are some questions you should ask.
- Will a damage claim use OEM or aftermarket replacement parts?
- If you have an accident, will your rates go up?
- Is there any savings for paying the full premium?
- Is insurance their full-time profession?
- Is the agent properly licensed in Virginia?
- Which companies can they place coverage with?
Car insurance coverage options for a Pontiac G8
Having a good grasp of car insurance can be of help when determining which coverages you need at the best deductibles and correct limits. Policy terminology can be difficult to understand and nobody wants to actually read their policy.
This coverage will cover damages or injuries you inflict on a person or their property in an accident. Liability coverage has three limits: bodily injury per person, bodily injury per accident and property damage. As an example, you may have liability limits of 25/50/20 that means you have a $25,000 limit per person for injuries, a per accident bodily injury limit of $50,000, and $20,000 of coverage for damaged property. Occasionally you may see a combined single limit or CSL which limits claims to one amount without having the split limit caps.
Liability coverage protects against things such as court costs, bail bonds, structural damage, attorney fees and loss of income. How much liability coverage do you need? That is your choice, but buy as high a limit as you can afford. Virginia state law requires minimum liability limits of 25/50/20 but drivers should carry more coverage.
The illustration below shows why buying low liability limits may not be adequate coverage.
Uninsured Motorist or Underinsured Motorist insurance
This coverage provides protection from other drivers when they either are underinsured or have no liability coverage at all. Covered losses include medical payments for you and your occupants and also any damage incurred to your Pontiac G8.
Since a lot of drivers only purchase the least amount of liability that is required (25/50/20), it only takes a small accident to exceed their coverage. That’s why carrying high Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist coverage should not be overlooked. Normally these coverages are similar to your liability insurance amounts.
Comprehensive coverage (or Other than Collision)
This coverage will pay to fix damage caused by mother nature, theft, vandalism and other events. You first have to pay a deductible then your comprehensive coverage will pay.
Comprehensive coverage protects against things such as vandalism, theft, falling objects and damage from flooding. The maximum amount you’ll receive from a claim is the cash value of the vehicle, so if the vehicle is not worth much it’s not worth carrying full coverage.
Insurance for medical payments
Med pay and PIP coverage pay for short-term medical expenses such as surgery, doctor visits, pain medications and ambulance fees. They can be used to cover expenses not covered by your health insurance plan or if there is no health insurance coverage. They cover all vehicle occupants and will also cover getting struck while a pedestrian. Personal injury protection coverage is not available in all states and may carry a deductible
Collision insurance covers damage to your G8 caused by collision with another vehicle or an object, but not an animal. A deductible applies then the remaining damage will be paid by your insurance company.
Collision can pay for claims like hitting a parking meter, backing into a parked car, colliding with a tree and scraping a guard rail. Collision coverage makes up a good portion of your premium, so consider removing coverage from older vehicles. Drivers also have the option to raise the deductible on your G8 to save money on collision insurance.
Compare. Compare. Compare.
Lower-priced Pontiac G8 insurance in Virginia Beach can be found online and from local insurance agents, so you should compare both to get a complete price analysis. Some auto insurance companies may not have online rate quotes and many times these regional insurance providers provide coverage only through independent insurance agents.
Insureds change insurance companies for a number of reasons such as denial of a claim, questionable increases in premium, poor customer service or delays in responding to claim requests. Regardless of your reason for switching companies, switching auto insurance companies can be pretty painless.
In this article, we presented a lot of information how to reduce Pontiac G8 insurance car insurance rates online in Virginia Beach. The key thing to remember is the more times you quote, the better likelihood of getting affordable Virginia Beach auto insurance quotes. Drivers may even discover the biggest savings come from a smaller regional carrier.
Much more information about auto insurance in Virginia is available at the links below
- Child Safety Seats (Insurance Information Institute)
- Who Has Affordable Car Insurance Rates for a Subaru Outback in Virginia Beach? (FAQ)
- How Much is Auto Insurance for College Students in Virginia Beach? (FAQ)
- Prom Night Tips for Teen Drivers (State Farm)
- Airbag FAQ (iihs.org)
- Vehicle Insurance (Wikipedia)
- Should I Buy a New or Used Car? (Allstate)