It goes without saying that car insurance companies don’t want you comparing rates. Insureds who shop around once a year will most likely switch companies because there is a good chance of finding better rates. A survey found that consumers who made a habit of comparing rates saved approximately $865 annually as compared to drivers who never compared rates.
If finding the lowest price on auto insurance is the reason you’re here, knowing how to get free comparison quotes and analyze insurance rates can make it easier for you to save money.
The most effective way to get more affordable Subaru Outback insurance in Virginia Beach is to compare prices at least once a year from insurance carriers in Virginia.
Step 1: Try to understand coverages and the things you can change to prevent high rates. Many factors that result in higher rates like getting speeding tickets and a not-so-good credit score can be controlled by being financially responsible and driving safely. Continue reading for ideas to find cheap rates and earn larger discounts.
Step 2: Compare rates from exclusive agents, independent agents, and direct providers. Exclusive and direct companies can provide rates from a single company like GEICO or State Farm, while agents who are independent can give you price quotes for a wide range of insurance providers.
Step 3: Compare the price quotes to your existing policy and determine if there is any savings. If you find a lower rate and switch companies, make sure coverage does not lapse between policies.
Step 4: Provide adequate notice to your current company of your intent to cancel your existing policy. Submit a completed policy application and payment to the new insurer. Immediately upon receiving it, place the new certificate verifying proof of insurance with the vehicle registration.
A good tip to remember is to compare similar coverage information on each price quote and and to get price estimates from as many companies as possible. This ensures an apples-to-apples comparison and maximum price selection.
Obtaining price quotes for affordable protection in Virginia Beach is easy to do. If you already have coverage or are looking for a new policy, follow these tips to shop for the lowest rates without having to cut coverage. Vehicle owners just have to use the most time-saving way to buy insurance on the web.
The best way we recommend to get policy rate comparisons for Subaru Outback insurance in Virginia Beach is to realize auto insurance companies have advanced systems to provide you with a free rate quote. To begin a comparison, all you need to do is provide details such as how much school you completed, the type of vehicles you drive, an estimate of your credit level, and how many miles driven. Your insurance information is instantly submitted to all major companies and you will get price comparisons almost instantly.
To compare rates for your Subaru Outback now, click here and find out if lower rates are available in Virginia Beach.
The companies shown below offer free rate quotes in Virginia Beach, VA. If you wish to find cheaper auto insurance in Virginia Beach, we suggest you get rates from several of them to get a more complete price comparison.
Lower-cost Subaru Outback insurance in Virginia Beach
Some insurers don’t always list every discount they offer in an easy-to-find place, so here is a list a few of the more common and the more hidden discounts that may be available. If you do not double check each discount you deserve, you are paying more than you should be.
- Memberships – Being a member of certain professional organizations is a good way to get lower rates when getting a Virginia Beach auto insurance quote.
- Virginia Beach Homeowners Discount – Owning your own home or condo can save a few bucks because of the fact that having a home requires personal responsibility.
- Passive Restraint Discount – Vehicles with factory air bags could see savings as much as 30%.
- First Accident Forgiveness – Not necessarily a discount, but some companies like Progressive, Allstate, and GEICO will let one accident slide before they charge you more for coverage if you are claim-free for a certain period of time.
- Mature Driver Discount – Drivers over the age of 55 can possibly qualify for a small discount on rates.
- Seat Belts Save – Forcing all vehicle occupants to wear their seat belts could save 15% off the medical payments premium.
- Government Employees – Active or retired federal employment could provide a small rate reduction depending on your insurance provider.
- Student in College – Kids who attend college more than 100 miles from Virginia Beach and don’t have a car can be insured at a reduced rate.
- Defensive Driver Discount – Completing a defensive driver course could save 5% or more and easily recoup the cost of the course.
As a disclaimer on discounts, most discounts do not apply to the entire policy premium. The majority will only reduce the price of certain insurance coverages like collision or personal injury protection. Even though it appears you can get free auto insurance, you’re out of luck.
The diagram below illustrates the difference between Subaru Outback annual premium costs with and without policy discounts. The prices are based on a male driver, no accidents or driving violations, Virginia state minimum liability limits, full coverage, and $100 deductibles. The first bar for each age group shows premium with no discounts. The second shows the rates with marriage, multi-policy, multi-car, homeowner, claim-free, and safe-driver discounts applied.
A few popular companies and their offered discounts are detailed below.
- State Farm may have discounts that include passive restraint, Steer Clear safe driver discount, accident-free, defensive driving training, good driver, Drive Safe & Save, and good student.
- Farmers Insurance offers discounts including good student, teen driver, pay in full, bundle discounts, mature driver, multi-car, and distant student.
- Progressive policyholders can earn discounts including online signing, homeowner, good student, multi-policy, and multi-vehicle.
- GEICO may offer discounts for good student, military active duty, federal employee, membership and employees, air bags, and driver training.
- Auto-Owners Insurance may include discounts for safe vehicle, multi-policy, teen driver, mature driver, multiple vehicles, anti-theft, and anti-lock brakes.
- The Hartford includes discounts for defensive driver, good student, air bag, vehicle fuel type, and driver training.
- Farm Bureau has discounts for safe driver, 55 and retired, driver training, renewal discount, and multi-policy.
- USAA offers discounts for multi-vehicle, good student, safe driver, family discount, and multi-policy.
When getting free Virginia Beach auto insurance quotes, it’s a good idea to each company how many discounts you can get. Savings may not apply in your area. To see a list of insurance companies with discount rates in Virginia, click this link.
Subaru Outback insurance rate analysis
The coverage information below covers different insurance premium costs for Subaru Outback models. Being aware of how insurance policy rates are calculated can help guide drivers when making decisions when shopping your coverage around.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Outback 2.5I Premium||$240||$452||$334||$20||$100||$1,146||$96|
|Outback 2.5I Limited||$240||$452||$334||$20||$100||$1,146||$96|
|Outback 3.6R Premium||$240||$452||$334||$20||$100||$1,146||$96|
|Outback 3.6R Limited||$268||$532||$334||$20||$100||$1,254||$105|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Data based on single female driver age 40, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $100 deductibles, and Virginia minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include safe-driver, homeowner, multi-vehicle, multi-policy, and claim-free. Price information does not factor in specific zip code location which can change auto insurance rates considerably.
Raise deductibles and save
One of the hardest decisions when shopping for insurance is where should you set your physical damage deductibles. The rates below summarize how much more rates are when you buy lower versus higher physical damage coverage deductibles. The first rate comparisons uses a $100 physical damage deductible and the second rate table uses a $500 deductible.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Outback 2.5I Premium||$250||$400||$258||$16||$78||$1,027||$86|
|Outback 2.5I Limited||$250||$400||$258||$16||$78||$1,027||$86|
|Outback 3.6R Premium||$250||$400||$258||$16||$78||$1,027||$86|
|Outback 3.6R Limited||$278||$472||$258||$16||$78||$1,127||$94|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Outback 2.5I Premium||$182||$270||$258||$16||$78||$804||$67|
|Outback 2.5I Limited||$182||$270||$258||$16||$78||$804||$67|
|Outback 3.6R Premium||$182||$270||$258||$16||$78||$804||$67|
|Outback 3.6R Limited||$204||$318||$258||$16||$78||$874||$73|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Data based on married male driver age 30, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, and Virginia minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include safe-driver, multi-policy, multi-vehicle, homeowner, and claim-free. Rate quotes do not factor in vehicle garaging location which can change coverage rates substantially.
Based on the data above, we can derive that using a $100 deductible costs an average of $19 more each month or $228 a year than requesting the higher $500 deductible. Since the policyholder would be required to pay $400 more out-of-pocket with a $500 deductible as compared to a $100 deductible, if you normally go more than 21 months between claims, you would most likely save money by selecting a higher deductible.
Calculate deductible break even point
|Average monthly premium for $100 deductibles:||$86|
|Average monthly premium for $500 deductibles (subtract):||– $67|
|Monthly savings from raising deductible:||$19|
|Difference between deductibles ($500 – $100):||$400|
|Divide difference by monthly savings:||$400 / $19|
|Number of months required between physical damage coverage claims in order to save money by choosing the higher deductible||21 months|
One thing to be aware of is that increasing deductibles to lower your rates results in more money out-of-pocket when you have a physical damage claim. It will be required that you have some savings in the bank in order to pay the deductible for vehicle repair.
The diagram below highlights how deductible choice and can impact Subaru Outback insurance rates for different age categories. The rate quotes are based on a single female driver, full physical damage coverage, and no additional discounts are factored in.
Comparison of insurance rates by age and gender
The diagram below illustrates the difference between Subaru Outback auto insurance costs for male and female drivers. The data is based on no claims or violations, full physical damage coverage, $500 deductibles, drivers are single, and no discounts are applied to the premium.
Does full coverage make sense?
The illustration below illustrates the difference between Subaru Outback auto insurance rates with liability coverage only compared to full coverage. The price estimates are based on no claims or driving citations, $1,000 deductibles, single status, and no additional discounts are factored in.
Are you wasting money paying for full coverage?
There is no clear-cut rule to stop paying for full coverage on your policy, but there is a guideline you can consider. If the annual cost of your full coverage insurance is more than about 10% of the replacement cost minus the deductible, the it may be a good time to stop paying for full coverage.
For example, let’s say your Subaru Outback replacement cost is $8,000 and you have $1,000 full coverage deductibles. If your vehicle is destroyed, you would only receive $7,000 after paying the physical damage deductible. If it’s costing in excess of $700 annually for physical damage coverage, then it might be time to consider dropping full coverage.
There are some circumstances where only buying liability is not a good idea. If you still owe a portion of the original loan, you are required to maintain full coverage in order to prevent your loan from defaulting. Also, if you don’t have enough money to buy a different vehicle in case of an accident, you should keep full coverage on your policy.
Insurance agents can find coverage gaps
Many people still prefer to go talk to an agent and that is OK! Insurance agents are trained risk managers and help in the event of a claim. One of the benefits of price shopping on the web is that you can obtain cheap insurance rates and still have a local agent. Supporting local agencies is important especially in Virginia Beach.
After completing this simple form, your information is sent to agents in your area that give free quotes for your coverage. You won’t even need to leave your computer because prices are sent immediately to your email address. If for some reason you want to compare rates from a specific insurance provider, feel free to navigate to their website and complete a quote there.
When narrowing the list to find a reputable agency, you should know the types of insurance agents and how they differ in how they quote coverages. Agents can be categorized as either independent agents or exclusive agents depending on their employer. Either type can do a good job, but it’s important to know the difference in the companies they write for because it may have an impact on the type of agent you choose.
Independent Insurance Agents
Agents that elect to be independent are not locked into one company so they can quote policies with a variety of different insurance companies and find you cheaper rates. If your premiums go up, the agent simply finds a different carrier and you don’t have to find a new agent. When comparison shopping, you will definitely want to contact a few independent agents to maximize your price options. Most independent agents also contract with additional companies that you may not be familiar with which can be an advantage.
Below is a small list of independent agencies in Virginia Beach that can give you pricing information.
- Nationwide Insurance: Lovas Insurance Agency Inc
244 Mustang Trail #1 – Virginia Beach, VA 23452 – (757) 340-8310 – View Map
- Nationwide Insurance: Chesson Insurance Agency Inc
307 Lynnhaven Pkwy Ste 201 – Virginia Beach, VA 23452 – (757) 464-4443 – View Map
- Bell Insurance Agency Corporation
1501 Cornwell Ln – Virginia Beach, VA 23454 – (757) 340-0028 – View Map
Exclusive agents can only provide pricing for a single company and examples are Farmers Insurance, American Family, State Farm and Allstate. Exclusive agencies are unable to provide other company’s prices so you might not find the best rates. Exclusive agents receive extensive training on what they offer and that enables them to sell even at higher rates. Many people buy from exclusive agents primarily because of the brand rather than low price.
Listed below is a short list of exclusive agencies in Virginia Beach willing to provide rate quotes.
- Bill Wright – State Farm Insurance Agent
4316 Virginia Beach Blvd – Virginia Beach, VA 23452 – (757) 486-4000 – View Map
- Tim Johnson – State Farm Insurance Agent
700 Independence Blvd – Virginia Beach, VA 23455 – (757) 499-0550 – View Map
- Hy Dress – State Farm Insurance Agent
1517 Lynnhaven Pkwy #101 – Virginia Beach, VA 23453 – (757) 427-1987 – View Map
Selecting an insurance agent should include more criteria than just the premium amount. These are some valid questions you should ask.
- Where are claims handled?
- How often do they review coverages?
- Will they make sure you get an adequate claim settlement?
- Do you work with a CSR or direct with the agent?
- Will vehicle repairs be made with aftermarket parts or OEM replacement parts?
- Do they offer claims assistance after hours?
Once you have received good feedback and an affordable coverage quote, you have narrowed it down to an auto insurance agent that will insure your vehicles. Just understand that policyholders can cancel a policy when you choose so never assume you’re contractually obligated to any specific company for a certain time period.
Which is the best car insurance?
Always keep in mind that when comparing insurance from an agent or online, there really is no “perfect” insurance plan. Everyone’s situation is a little different so your insurance should reflect that
For example, these questions may help highlight if your situation would benefit from an agent’s advice.
- When should I remove my kid from my policy?
- Am I missing any policy discounts?
- What is motorclub and do I need it?
- Can I rent a car in Mexico?
- What is an SR-22 filing?
- Are rock-chip repairs free?
If it’s difficult to answer those questions but one or more may apply to you then you might want to talk to an agent. If you want to speak to an agent in your area, take a second and complete this form or click here for a list of car insurance companies in your area. It only takes a few minutes and you can get the answers you need.
Virginia Beach Insurance Costs are Influenced by These Factors
Lots of factors are used in the calculation when you get your auto insurance bill. Some are pretty understandable such as traffic violations, but some are more transparent like your continuous coverage or your vehicle rating. When buying car insurance it’s important to understand a few of the rating criteria that aid in calculating your car insurance rates. If you know what positively or negatively impacts your premiums, this helps enable you to make changes that may result in lower rates.
The following are some of the items utilized by car insurance companies to help set your rates.
Get better rates if married – Walking down the aisle helps lower the price on your policy. It is viewed as being more financially stable and statistics show married drivers tend to file fewer claims.
Add-on coverages can cost a lot – There are a lot of extra add-on coverages you can purchase when buying car insurance. Coverages like replacement cost coverage, death and dismemberment, and membership fees could be just wasting money. These coverages may sound good when you first buy your policy, but if you have no use for them consider taking them off your policy.
Vehicle options can affect car insurance rates – Purchasing a vehicle with a theft deterrent system can help bring down rates. Advanced theft deterrents such as OnStar, LoJack tracking, and tamper alarms all help prevent your car from being stolen.
Liability insurance is important – Your policy’s liability coverage is the protection in the event that you are found liable for causing damage or personal injury in an accident. It provides legal defense coverage which can cost thousands of dollars. This coverage is relatively inexpensive compared to physical damage coverage, so drivers should buy more than the minimum limits required by law.
Pay more for higher performance vehicles – The type of car you are buying insurance for makes a huge difference in the rate you pay. The cheapest insurance rates are for the lowest performance passenger models, but the cost you end up paying is determined by many additional factors.
The chart below is based on a single female driver age 30, full coverage with $100 deductibles, and no discounts or violations. The chart compares Subaru Outback car insurance rates compared to other models that have different performance rating factors.
Claims statistics for a Subaru Outback – Insurance companies use statistical claims data as a way to help calculate a profitable premium rate. Vehicles that have higher number or severity of losses will have higher rates.
The data below shows the insurance loss data used by companies for Subaru Outback vehicles. For each coverage category, the loss probability for all vehicles, regardless of make or model, equals 100. Values that are below 100 suggest a better than average loss history, while numbers that are greater than 100 point to more frequent losses or an increased probability of a larger loss.
|Specific Subaru Model||Collision||Property Damage||Comp||Personal Injury||Medical Payment||Bodily Injury|
|Subaru Outback 4WD||58||68||106||63||64||68|
|Subaru Outback with Eyesight 4WD||57||46||106||61||58||40|
Data Source: iihs.org (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety) for 2013-2015 Model Years
Protect your vehicle and other assets
Despite the high cost of buying insurance for a Subaru Outback in Virginia Beach, insurance is required for several reasons.
- Most states have mandatory liability insurance requirements which means the state requires a specific level of liability in order to license the vehicle. In Virginia these limits are 25/50/20 which means you must have $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $20,000 of property damage coverage.
- If your Subaru has a lienholder, it’s most likely the lender will make it mandatory that you buy insurance to ensure the loan is repaid in case of a total loss. If you cancel or allow the policy to lapse, the bank or lender will purchase a policy for your Subaru at a much higher premium rate and force you to pay for it.
- Insurance safeguards not only your Subaru but also your assets. It will also provide coverage for medical bills for yourself as well as anyone injured by you. One policy coverage, liability insurance, also covers all legal expenses up to the policy limit if you are sued as the result of your driving. If your car is damaged in a storm or accident, collision and comprehensive coverages will cover the repair costs.
The benefits of having auto insurance outweigh the cost, particularly when you have a large claim. The average driver in America is wasting up to $810 a year so compare quotes from several companies each time the policy renews to be sure current rates are still competitive.
As you restructure your insurance plan, do not skimp on critical coverages to save a buck or two. There are too many instances where an insured cut full coverage only to regret that a couple dollars of savings turned into a financial nightmare. The goal is to purchase plenty of coverage for the lowest price, but don’t skip important coverages to save money.
You just read a lot of ways to lower your Subaru Outback insurance rates in Virginia Beach. The key concept to understand is the more providers you compare, the more likely it is that you will get a better rate. You may even discover the lowest rates come from the smaller companies. These companies may have significantly lower car insurance rates on certain market segments than the large multi-state companies such as Progressive or GEICO.
For more information, feel free to visit the resources below:
- Teen Driving and Texting (State Farm)
- Who Has Affordable Virginia Beach Auto Insurance Quotes for Electric Cars? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Car Insurance Quotes for a Dodge Ram in Virginia Beach? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Car Insurance for a Nissan Sentra in Virginia Beach? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Auto Insurance for Drivers Over Age 60 in Virginia Beach? (FAQ)
- Medical Payments Coverage (Liberty Mutual)
- Understanding Your Insurance Deductible (Insurance Information Institute)
- Automakers compete to add autobraking (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)